Adrian Peterson wants Vikings to sign Vick
Minnesota Vikings general manager Rick Spielman said last month that the franchise will spin the wheel again in 2014, hoping this is the year it hits on a quarterback.
All-Pro running back Adrian Peterson dropped a hint via Twitter about the free agent he’d welcome.
“Mike Vick would intently make the vikings a playoff team,” he wrote.
Vick, 33, started just six games with the Philadelphia Eagles in 2013, losing his job to Nick Foles while he recovered from a hamstring injury. Leg injuries and concussions limited Vick each of the past two seasons.
The Vikings hired Norv Turner, who runs a pro-style digits system for which Vick is not a fit, as offensive coordinator under first-year head coach Mike Zimmer.
A better candidate appears to be re-signing Matt Cassel, the veteran who started down the stretch for Minnesota but opted out of his contract to return to free agency after one season with the Vikings. Wide receiver Greg Jennings openly endorsed bringing back Cassel, but he’s likely to draw interest from other teams, including the Houston Texans. Cassel’s former quarterback coach with the Patriots, Bill O’Brien, is head coach in Houston.
Christian Ponder lacks the consistency the Vikings want at the position, Zimmer said last month at the combine. The 2012 first-round pick is the only quarterback under contract with the Vikings entering the new league year.
Guion, Childs released
The Vikings released defensive tackle Letroy Guion and wide receiver Greg Childs on Thursday.
The 26-year-old Guion started 13 games in 2013 and had 21 tackles and one sack. The six-year veteran played in 68 games and started 31 during his six seasons with the Vikings.
Childs injured his knees and never saw action with the Vikings, who selected him in the fourth round of the 2012 NFL Draft. He spent the 2012 season on injured reserve and the 2013 season on the physically unable to perform list.
Releasing Guion gives the Vikings an additional $4 million in cap space but creates a need for a defensive tackle, which the team could address in free agency. Coach Mike Zimmer told reporters on Thursday that he would like to retain veteran defensive tackle Kevin Williams.
Report: Sharper says he had sex without consent
Former NFL defensive back Darren Sharper acknowledged to witnesses that he and a friend had sex with two women in September that was not consensual, according to a report.
USA Today obtained a report by a New Orleans police detective from an investigation of the alleged rapes last Sept. 23 in a Louisiana apartment.
Sharper is jailed in Los Angeles after surrendering to police on the charges in New Orleans. He also is charged in California with seven felonies after allegedly drugging and raping women. He pleaded not guilty to those charges.
The 38-year-old Sharper also is being investigated in sexual assault cases in three other states.
Erik Nunez, a Sharper acquaintance, faces two charges of aggravated rape in the New Orleans incident.
If convicted in Louisiana, both men could be sentenced to life in prison. The California charges carry a sentence of more than 30 years in state prison.
According to the New Orleans police report obtained by USA Today, the two women were impaired by an unknown substance and “do not recall the entirety of the sexual intercourse,” saying they awoke with Sharper on top of them and that they had not consented to sex.
Sharper’s attorneys disputed the charges.
“All of these were consensual contact between Mr. Sharper and women who wanted to be in his company, who voluntarily ingested alcohol and drugs in many cases,” attorney Leonard Levine told a Los Angeles judge in February.
An extradition hearing for Sharper is scheduled in Los Angeles on Friday.
Sharper, a six-time All-Pro selection, played in two Super Bowls and retired as a player in 2010 after 14 years in the NFL with the New Orleans Saints, Green Bay Packers and Minnesota Vikings.
He has been suspended indefinitely from his job as an analyst with the NFL Network.