Bravo to organizers of KiteFest
The Jamestown Sun hands out these bravos and a buffalo chip this week:
* Bravo to the joint hazardous materials exercise conducted by the Jamestown Fire Department and Fargo Fire Department Monday. The two departments are part of the southeast region for hazardous materials mitigation, so if needed, they would assist each other in particular events.
* Bravo to those candidates who ran for office in Tuesday’s state and primary election. And bravo to those people who took the time to cast their votes and to the election workers who kept things running smoothly.
* Bravo to the six Dakota Valley Electric Co-op employees who helped clean up at a cemetery in Monango, N.D., last month as part of the co-op’s first Community Day. The employees helped remove dead trees, old fencing and debris, among other tasks.
* Bravo to the organizers of the 7th annual Running of the Pink, which raised funds for Women’s Way and the digital mammography machine at Jamestown Regional Medical Center. R.M. Stoudt started the event, which continues to grow in participation.
* Buffalo chip to the North Dakota Game and Fish Department for failing to comply with state laws related to spending, among other issues found during a recent audit. The State Auditor’s Office said the department didn’t conduct a required inventory of guns provided to hunter education volunteer instructors, didn’t properly bid for some goods and services and didn’t reimburse employees properly for meals and lodging, among other issues. The Game and Fish Department agreed with 43 of 44 formal recommendations made as a result of the audit and is working on addressing them.
* Bravo to Dani Gillett and Pam Stewart, Fargo sisters who founded Outfits for Angels, a program to provide gowns for final photos and funeral services for babies who die before or during birth. The two are hoping to get the program into every hospital in North Dakota. And bravo to Jamestown Regional Medical Center for being one of three North Dakota hospitals participating in the program.
* Bravo to the Dakota Anglers for holding the annual Little Britches Fishing Tournament to encourage young people to fish.
(Editorials are the opinion of Jamestown Sun management and the newspaper’s editorial board)