Sections

Weather Forecast

Close

ID released on fire victim

DEVILS LAKE, N.D. — A man who died in a weekend house fire in Devils Lake has been identified.

William Hendrickx, 57, died Saturday morning in the blaze that destroyed the home, located at the corner of Seventh Street and Ninth Avenue Northeast, according to a report from the Devils Lake Fire Department.

The fire, which started at about 7 a.m., was brought under control in about two hours, according to the report. A dog also died in the fire.

Officials indicated the fire, which started in the basement, was caused by an electrical problem.

Firefighters said they believe the fire started in the basement of the house and moved upward.

No other nearby structures were threatened. Assistant Fire Chief Cory Meyer said it was difficult to battle the blaze because of the damage to the home.

“We found the floor sagging so we couldn't make much entry, so we tried another point in. As we tried another door in we found a victim inside unfortunately,” Meyer said.

Forum News Service

The Forum Communications News Service is the premier news wire service covering the Upper Midwest, including the Dakotas, Minnesota and Wisconsin. In addition to breaking and enterprise news, we offer a wide variety of sports, features, business, agriculture, outdoors and opinion content. For more information about the services we offer or to discuss content subscriptions, please contact us.

Advertisement