Jamestown speech team wins meet in Bismarck
The Jamestown High School Speech team recently traveled to Mandan High School on Feb. 15.
* Dramatic: seventh, Emily Lauinger; and top novice, Tiffany Olson
* Extemporaneous programmed reading: eighth, Anavah Cole
* Extemporaneous speaking: seventh, Cody Montgomery; sixth, Kelsey Becker; and fifth, Kassi Manley
* Humorous: sixth, Jacob Brownell
* Humorous duo: fifth, Hunter Carpenter and Jacob Sherfy; and top novice, Anavah Cole and Kalen Christensen
* Impromptu: seventh, Jacob Sherfy
* Persuade: second, Kelsey Becker
* Radio: second, Sierra Gordon (state qualifying)
* Serious duo: eighth, Brittney Carpenter and Mikayla Patel
* Serious prose: eighth, Mikayla Patel; third, Sierra Gordon; and first, Libby Kruse (state qualifying)
* Storytelling: fourth, Hunter Carpenter; third, Jessica Vandal; second, Jacob Sherfy; and top novice Ashlyn Weis
The JHS speech team won the meet at St. Mary’s High School in Bismarck on Feb. 22, where they competed against 24 other teams representing Class A and Class B schools. Here are the individual results:
Dramatic: seventh, Elise Opp
Extemporaneous programmed reading: eighth, Elise Opp; seventh, Emily Lauinger; and second, Anavah Cole
Extemporaneous speaking: fifth, Kelsey Becker; and first, Kassi Manley (state qualifying)
Humorous: superior speaker, Jessica Vandal
Humorous Duo: second, Hunter Carpenter and Jacob Sherfy (state qualifying)
Impromptu: seventh, Kassi Manley
Poetry: first, Morgan Baumgartner (state qualifying)
Radio: eighth, Sierra Gordon; fifth, Jasmine Glasgow
Serious prose: superior speaker, Mikayla Patel; seventh, Sierra Gordon; third, Libby Kruse; and first Morgan Baumgartner (state qualifying)
Storytelling: top novice, Jordan Montgomery; superior speaker, Kalen Christensen; and first, Jacob Sherfy (state qualifying)
The team traveled to Harvey on March 8 and will go to Valley City on March 22, West Fargo on March 29 and Mandan for the WDA Regional Meet on April 7.
The team will present its State Showcase at 5:30 p.m. April 10 at the Arts Center. At the showcase, all of the students who have qualified for the state meet will read their speeches to the public. Admission is free and all are welcome.
The State Class A speech meet will be held April 12 at Jamestown High School.