JRFD responds to propane tank fire
Eleven firefighters and four units of the Jamestown Rural Fire Department responded to a propane tank fire Monday in Ypsilanti, according to Brian Paulson, assistant fire chief. The units were dispatched at about 3:30 p.m. and were on the scene for about one hour. The fire occurred in the trailer park in the northwest corner of the town.
Paulson said the valve of a 100-pound propane tank had malfunctioned causing a fire at the tank. The firefighters were able to cool the tank and manually close the valve.
“Anytime you are dealing with free flowing propane there is concern,” he said. “We were able to control this situation.”
The fire did not spread to a nearby mobile home and damage was limited to the tank and valve. An estimate of the damage was unavailable and no injuries were reported.