Kulm site 1 of 3 named ‘historic’
An auditorium, church, and historic site in North Dakota have recently been listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The National Register of Historic Places is the federal government’s list of properties it considers worthy of preservation and recognition.
Edinburg WPA Auditorium was built by the Works Progress Administration in 1938 as an auditorium with style elements from Art Deco and Art Moderne.
Construction of Vikur Lutheran Church in Mountain began in 1884 on land donated by the first pastor, (Séra) Páll Thorláksson. Thorláksson played a major role in the establishment of the Icelandic-American community and the creation of the Icelandic Evangelical Lutheran Synod. Vikur Lutheran is recognized as the first and oldest Icelandic church in the United States.
White Stone Hill near Kulm in Dickey County was the site of conflict between General Sully’s soldiers and a buffalo hunting camp of Dakota in early September 1863. The nomination includes the core area from this nationally significant conflict. The nomination also includes the stone buildings and structures built by the Works Progress Administration and the monuments that are part of Whitestone Hill State Historic Site at the level of statewide significance.