N.D. State Spelling Bee Friday in Bismarck
The North Dakota State Spelling Bee Competition is Friday at the Ramkota Hotel in Bismarck.
A maximum of two student winners from each county in the state will compete in the spelling bee. The following is a list of local participants by county:
* Barnes County: Ashley Tahran, Maple Valley, and Nita Warcken-Petersen, Valley City Junior High School
* Dickey County: Coy Awender, Oakes Public Schools, and Yuliet Monatukwa, Ellendale Public School
* Eddy County: Jared Hartl and Micah Nicolai, both New Rockford-Sheyenne Public School
* Emmons County: Kristi Carpenter, Hazelton-Moffit-Braddock; and Riley Mattheis, Linton Public School
* Foster County: Adam Gorseth and Emerson Hoornaert, both Carrington High School
* Griggs County: Joelle Sherlock and Narve Ueland, both Griggs County Central
* Kidder County: Zaida Knapp, Kidder County-Tappen School, and Shaye Koester, Kidder County-Steele School
* LaMoure County: Heather Gades and Ana Mart, LaMoure Public School
* Logan County: Jason Homola and Morgan Reiser, Gackle-Streeter
* McIntosh County: Samuel Meidinger, Ashley Public School; and Alexandria Schilling, Wishek Public School
* Stutsman County: Amanda Allen, Pingree Buchanan; Winter Mielke, Roosevelt Elementary School
This year, 97 county spelling bee winners will participate in the state competition. All contestants first compete in a written round from which the finalists are chosen. The finalists compete on an equal basis in the oral spelldown with first-, second-, third- and fourth-place winners being chosen. Awards were donated by Merriam-Webster, Encyclopedia Britannica, Jay Sugarman, President and CEO of Starwood Financial Trust, and the North Dakota Association of County Superintendents. Awards will be presented to the first-, second-, third- and fourth-place winners.
The winner of the state spelling bee will compete in the Scripps National Spelling Bee May 25-31 in Washington, D.C. The state champion and a companion will receive an all-expenses-paid trip by the North Dakota Council of Education Leaders, the North Dakota Newspaper Association and the North Dakota Masonic Foundation.
For more information, contact Lorraine Weber, 2014 North Dakota State Spelling Bee coordinator, North Dakota Council of Educational Leaders, by calling (701) 258-3022.