VCSU to hold Earth Day Festival on Tuesday
Valley City State University will host its third annual Earth Day Festival from 5:30 to 9 p.m. Tuesday at Medicine Wheel Park in Valley City. The festival will highlight the celebration of Earth Week, with other events planned on the VCSU campus and Valley City throughout the week.
In the event of inclement weather, the festival will be held in VCSU’s Student Center.
Featured performers are the Buffalo River Dancers, a Native American group from the Fargo–Moorhead area, who will perform at 7 p.m.
Free hot dogs and chips will be served to the first 200 attendees compliments of Sodexo, VCSU’s dining services provider. Free tree seedlings will be given to the first 100 families attending.
Children attending the festival will have the opportunity to do hands-on projects using recycled materials, and they may also participate in a variety of old-fashioned games and win earth-friendly prizes at 6:30 p.m.
Entertainment will include music performances by Jamestown musicians Marie and Mike and members of Buffalo Road.
The festival will conclude with opportunities for star-gazing through telescopes.
Geocachers are encouraged to search the Valley City area for three Earth Day geocoins that have been placed in area caches. Geocachers can bring the geocoins to the Earth Day Festival to receive a prize.
Throughout the evening numerous artisans, groups and businesses will present earth-friendly practices and products at information tables. These include:
* Marney’s Sonshine and Sweet Pea, featuring vintage wreaths, paper flowers and button bouquets constructed using repurposed and recycled materials
* North Dakotans for Clean Water, Wildlife and Parks, with information about putting the North Dakota Clean Water, Wildlife and Parks Amendment on the November 2014 ballot.
* Norwex — earth-friendly cleaning products
* Jackie Owen, VCSU education instructor, with information on vermicomposting — the use of worm bins to compost food waste.
* VCSU’s American Fisheries Society Student Subunit
* VCSU’s Environmental Task Force
* VCSU’s Fisheries and Wildlife Conservation Club with free tree seedlings
* VCSU’s Prairie Waters Education and Research Center with program information and giveaways
* “What in the World is Going On?” group information about its upcoming presentation of the documentary “The Economics of Happiness”