Weather, gas prices get chips this week
The Jamestown Sun hands out these bravos and buffalo chips this week:
* Bravo to the latest group of North Dakota veterans going on the Honor Flight and bravo to those who made it possible. This is the 11th group that is going to Washington, D.C., to see various memorials and Arlington National Cemetery. The flights have been provided to the veterans at no charge.
* Buffalo chip to high gas prices. The prices are impacting other consumer spending.
* Bravo to Ken Aune of Jamestown, who was named 2010-2011 Educator of the Year by the North Dakota Music Educators Association. Aune is the director of bands at Jamestown Middle School.
* Bravo to the Jamestown Middle School students for raising a record amount of money for the annual penny drive at the school. The school's student council helps organize the event in which more than $12,000 was raised in just a week. Three families with medical expenses received the funds raised.
* Buffalo chip to the fact that weather has delayed the start of fieldwork. It's projected to start May 8, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture's ag statistics offices. The latest projection is the latest start since time since 1992.
(Editorials are the opinion of Jamestown Sun management and the newspaper's editorial board)