LaMoure flood forecasts updatedThe National Weather Service Advanced Hydrologic Prediction Service released updated forecasts for the James River on Friday, the LaMoure County Department of Emergency Services said in a release Monday.
The National Weather Service Advanced Hydrologic Prediction Service released updated forecasts for the James River on Friday, the LaMoure County Department of Emergency Services said in a release Monday.
The probabilities of flood are still high for LaMoure County, with a 98 percent chance of reaching 14 feet, 94 percent chance of reaching 16 feet, 70 percent chance of reaching 16.5 feet, the approximate first crest last year, 60 percent chance of reaching 17 feet, 40 percent chance of reaching 17.4 feet, the approximate second crest last year, and 25 percent chance it will reach 18 feet.
As before, the actual levels reached will depend on precipitation between now and the spring melt, as well as weather conditions during the melt. There is a chance of precipitation over the next few days, which may come as rain, freezing rain, or snow. The total water equivalent over the next few days is expected to be as much as 3/4 of an inch, which is normal for this time of year, and has already been factored into the models for river stage probabilities.
The county has sandbags and sand to fight spring flooding, and will have them available for residents to purchase. If residents would like to obtain sandbags or a load of sand, they should call the LaMoure County Highway Department at 883-5131.
A public information meeting regarding flooding is planned to start at 7 p.m. March 15 in the large gym at the LaMoure School, 510 Second St. S.E., LaMoure, N.D. There will be representatives from Corps of Engineers presenting information on their plans for releases from the dams upstream, a NWS hydrologist to talk about river stage probabilities and forecasts, and the LaMoure County Extension agent will present ideas on how to minimize flood damage to homes and property.
The corps of engineers plans to partner with U.S. Geological Survey to install temporary river gages at N.D. Highway 46 near Adrian and on LaMoure County Road 34 near Grand Rapids as soon as conditions allow. As soon as the sites are up and running, there will be a link to them on the disaster emergency services page of the LaMoure County Web site. www.lamourecountynd.com.