What we think: Bravo to JC women wrestlersThe Jamestown Sun hands out these bravos and a buffalo chip this week
The Jamestown Sun hands out these bravos and a buffalo chip this week:
* Bravo to the seven Jamestown College women wrestlers who earned All-American honors at the national championships Jan. 29 in Menlo, Calif. The team placed fifth overall. The seven wrestlers to earn honors were Leya-Justina Laufalemana, Chelsey Fleming, Jamie Moore, Amanda Athon, Natalie Rutt, Michelle Quilles and Michelle Canete.
* Bravo to all the participants and donors who helped the Polar Pig Splash raise close to $11,000 for hospice care.
* Bravo to all the people and organizations who donated to the Salvation Army’s Kettle Campaign, which surpassed its goal of raising $105,000 this season.
* Bravo to Cpl. Tom Scherbenske, who retired from the Jamestown Police Department this week after more than 35 years in law enforcement. He was credited with saving two lives during a 2007 house fire.
* Buffalo chip to the news that the federal budget deficit will reach $1.5 trillion this year. Federal spending at this level and the debt it creates is not sustainable.
* Bravo to the news that tourism in Jamestown reached a new record high in 2010. The Buffalo City Tourism Foundation reported a count of 174,330 people visiting Frontier Village, an increase of 35 percent above 2009 levels.
(Editorials are the opinion of Jamestown Sun management and the newspaper’s editorial board)