Bravo to JC’s Hager on his 400th winThe Jamestown Sun hands out these bravos and buffalo chips this week:
The Jamestown Sun hands out these bravos and buffalo chips this week:
* Bravo to all the working people who took time this week in an event that promoted literacy to tell Jamestown High School students about their jobs and how the ability to read matters in their lines of work.
* Bravo to former Jamestown High School swimming coach Marney Shirley, who received the 2012 Collegiate and Scholastic Swimming Trophy from the National Interscholastic Coaches Association of America, Inc.
* Bravo to Jamestown College baseball coach Tom Hager, who earned his 400th win March 28 with his team’s victory over the Northern State University Wolves in Aberdeen, S.D. Prior to the game, Hager had averaged 32 wins per season in his 12 years as head coach.
* Buffalo chip to the recent rise in gas prices in North Dakota. The state saw prices increase 21 cents per gallon in March while the national average rose 18 cents.
* Bravo to James Hyde of Bemidji, Minn., who saved a home from being destroyed by fire last week in Dickinson, N.D. Hyde had gotten lost while looking for a lumber store and noticed flames curling up the side of a west Dickinson home. He used a rug to put the flames out.
* Bravo to Christina Zamora, the Jamestown College student who placed second at the final Olympic Trials qualifier Sunday in her weight class. The win qualifies her for the U.S. Olympic Trials April 20-22 in Iowa City, Iowa. She is the first Jamestown College student to qualify for the trials.
* Buffalo chip to the aggressive parents who overran a children’s Easter egg hunt last year in Colorado Spring, Colo., and caused officials to cancel the event this year. We hope this year’s Easter egg hunts have no such problems
(Editorials are the opinion of Jamestown Sun management and the newspaper’s editorial board)