Convicted rapist facing new sex charges was to get Habitat homeThe local chapter of Habitat for Humanity says it is reviewing its criminal background check policy after a convicted rapist who was in line to receive a home in the fall faces new allegations of sexual assault.
By: By Mike Nowatzki and Erik Burgess , Forum Communications , The Jamestown Sun
MOORHEAD, Minn. — The local chapter of Habitat for Humanity says it is reviewing its criminal background check policy after a convicted rapist who was in line to receive a home in the fall faces new allegations of sexual assault.
Wilfred Carl Hudson, 49, was charged Thursday in Clay County District Court with repeatedly sexually assaulting an 8-year-old girl. An additional charge was filed Friday accusing Hudson of sexually assaulting a woman while she was asleep and on muscle relaxants.
One felony count of third-degree criminal sexual conduct was filed against Hudson on Friday, a day after he was charged with eight first-degree counts of the same charge.
Hudson was going to receive a home in Fargo via the Lake Agassiz Habitat for Humanity, the local chapter of a nonprofit that builds homes for low income families who then pay for the house with a no-interest mortgage. Media reports last month identified Hudson as the recipient of a Habitat house under construction.
A spokesperson for the organization said Friday Hudson had volunteered with them but he was never a homeowner through their program.
“Mr. Hudson’s partnership with Habitat was terminated due to application and Habitat policy violations,” Katie McCormick, program and marketing manager for the organization, wrote in an email. “Lake Agassiz Habitat continues to evaluate its criminal background check policy in order to ensure that we not only provide decent and affordable housing, but also ensure the safety of both the Habitat families and the neighborhoods in which they live.”
McCormick wouldn’t say what the organization’s current background check policies are but said they are “always under review.”
The group’s website says it considers residency, need and ability to pay in selecting families, and it requires 250 volunteers hours from each adult in the household. The website doesn’t mention a background check.
Bail for the charge filed Friday was set at $200,000 without conditions – bringing Hudson’s total bail between the two cases to $1 million. His conditional bail was increased $100,000, raising it to $400,000.
Like the 8-year-old girl, the alleged victim in the charge filed Friday was acquainted with Hudson.
According to the complaint, the woman told police the muscle relaxants she took for her back would “knock her out” and that she woke up several times to find that Hudson sexually assaulted her. She said it happened once when she hadn’t taken medication, and that Hudson got very upset when she woke up and told him to stop, according to the complaint.
The assaults are alleged to have occurred between May 1 and July 15.
Hudson’s criminal history includes a conviction for felony rape, forcible sodomy and breaking and entering in 1985-86 in Norfolk, Va., the complaint states.
If convicted, he faces up to 15 years in prison on the third-degree charge and up to 30 years on each of the first-degree charges.