Bravo to reversal of loss in populationThe Jamestown Sun hands out these bravos and a buffalo chip this week:
The Jamestown Sun hands out these bravos and a buffalo chip this week:
* Bravo to the strong holiday season local retailers are reporting. It’s a relief to see local businesses going strong in a time of challenges for the American retail industry.
* Bravo to the Western Area Water Supply Project, which is near completion. The project will bring water from the Missouri River to nine northwest North Dakota communities, including Crosby, where water is of poor quality and is in short supply.
* Bravo to the reversal of North Dakota’s population trend. A decade ago, this state was losing young people and seemed doomed to stagnation. Now, the state has a new record population and is likely to surpass that year after year for some time.
* Buffalo chip to the last-minute fiscal cliff agreement reached by Congress and the Obama administration this week. It may have prevented another recession, but it did nothing for the nation’s debt problem and we’ll be facing the same problem all over again in a matter of months.
* Bravo to Jamestown’s pair of New Year’s babies, Joshua Stegmiller and Leon Schott. Both were born on New Year’s Day.
(Editorials are the opinion of Jamestown Sun management and the newspaper’s editorial board)