Bravo to Romesha, honored with medalThe Jamestown Sun hands out these bravos and buffalo chips this week:
The Jamestown Sun hands out these bravos and buffalo chips this week:
* Bravo to retired Army Staff Sgt. Clinton Romesha, who was honored at the White House and Pentagon this week for earning the Medal of Honor. Romesha received the award for his leading about 50 soldiers in repelling 300 Taliban fighters from a remote U.S. outpost in Afghanistan. Romesha retired from the Army in 2011 and moved to Minot and works in the Oil Patch.
* Bravo to the planned Dakota Spirit AgEnergy ethanol plant receiving the Environmental Protection Agency’s Renewable Fuel Standard-2 certification. The certification means the plant can sell ethanol as a renewable fuel. Construction on the $130 million plant is planned to start this year near Spiritwood, N.D.
* Bravo to Jamestown High School’s No. 1 LifeSmarts team, which won the state championship earlier this month and will represent the state in the national championship later this year. LifeSmarts quizzes students on personal finance, health and safety, the environment, technology and consumer rights and responsibilities.
* Buffalo chip to the U.S. Postal Service’s plan to end Saturday mail delivery in August.
* Bravo to the funds for improving area roads that Stutsman County and other local governments will receive from the state thanks to a bill signed into law last week. The county and its political subdivisions will receive more than $4 million to help with road infrastructure.
* Buffalo chip to House Bill 1423, which would force couples seeking divorce to wait six months and get multiple counseling sessions before being allowed to split. The state has no business sticking its nose into relationships like this.
* Bravo to the new diesel refinery planned for near Dickinson. The plant, announced earlier this month, could be turning Bakken crude oil into diesel for farmers as soon as 2014.
(Editorials are the opinion of Jamestown Sun management and the newspaper’s editorial board)