Keeping up an unprecedented spending spree, the New York Yankees added Mark Teixeira to their collection of pricey free agents when they reached a preliminary agreement on a $180 million, eight-year contract with the first baseman.
The Los Angeles Angels have pulled their eight-year offer to Mark Teixeira and will no longer go after the first baseman.
Team spokesman Tim Mead confirmed Sunday the Angels have withdrawn their offer and are “out of the Mark Teixeira derby.” The team made its offer, reportedly worth about $160 million, during the winter meetings in Las Vegas earlier this month.
The Boston Red Sox have been outbid for free agent first baseman Mark Teixeira and “are not going to be a factor” in acquiring him, owner John Henry said in an e-mail on Thursday night.
“We met with Mr. Teixeira and were very much impressed with him,” Henry said. “After hearing about his other offers, however, it seems clear that we are not going to be a factor.”
The Los Angeles Angels already have the best record in baseball. That didn’t stop them from making a bold move two days before the trade deadline.
With their sights set firmly on the World Series, the Angels pulled off a blockbuster deal Tuesday to acquire slugger Mark Teixeira from the fading Atlanta Braves.
July 30, 2008
Showing 1 - 4 of 4
View your ad here! Cost effective targeted advertising. Contextual advertising starting as low as $79/month. This includes targeted ad delivery and search results! Add your business to the Marketplace »