Weather Forecast


Musical might have lacked permit

MEDORA, N.D. (AP) -- The Billings County state's attorney says he's looking into whether the Medora Musical had the proper authority for pyrotechnics that seriously burned a worker.

Jay Brovold said if the pyrotechnics scene is considered a public fireworks display, the musical should have had a permit. The public display permit from the county costs $2.

Twenty-two-year-old Kathy Yu, who is from Taiwan, suffered first- and second-degree burns to her face, neck, arm and body in late August and underwent a skin graft at a Dickinson hospital.

A manager for the musical, Jeremiah Swenson, said Yu was carrying a box with four mortars to be used during the pyrotechnics scene when two of them detonated, possibly because of static electricity. He said Yu's shirt and hair caught on fire.

Randy Hatzenbuhler, president of the Theodore Roosevelt Medora Foundation, said special fireworks for this weekend have been canceled.