Weather Forecast


High-speed chase results in crash west of Jamestown

The Jamestown Police Department and North Dakota Highway Patrol were involved in a motorcycle pursuit on Interstate 94 that reached speeds in excess of 120 miles per hour Wednesday morning.

Jamestown Police Chief Scott Edinger said around 9:32 a.m. an officer with the Stutsman County Regional Task Force saw a 27-year-old Jamestown man riding a Yamaha R6 motorcycle west on Business Loop East near 13th Avenue Southeast. Edinger said the officer knew the man had a suspended Texas driver’s license and attempted to pull the man over. The man did not pull over when the officer pulled up behind him and turned on his unmarked police car’s flashing lights.

The man continued on Business Loop East through Jamestown to 17th Street Southwest. He got onto I-94 at Exit 257, with two marked Jamestown police cars and a patrol vehicle in pursuit. Edinger said the law enforcement vehicles were able to keep up with the motorcyclist as speeds reached more than 120 mph.

As the pursuit continued, Edinger said the man threw objects out of his pockets as he drove.

The pursuit ended near the Crystal Springs exit, about 36 miles west of Jamestown, when the man tried to take a curve at high speed, crossed the median and lost control of the motorcycle when it hit the rumble strip on the eastbound lanes of I-94. The man was transported by air ambulance to Sanford Medical Center in Bismarck. Edinger said he didn’t know the man’s medical condition as of Wednesday afternoon, only that at the accident scene the man said he had injuries to arm, back and leg. The man was not wearing a helmet.

Edinger said he would not comment on the tossed items as law enforcement officials want to speak to the man about the items he tossed during the pursuit. Edinger said the items were found in the median and ditches near Exit 257 and mile markers 232 and 228.

No charges have yet been filed. The Jamestown Police Department, Stutsman County Sheriff’s Office, Kidder County Sheriff’s Department and North Dakota Highway Patrol were involved in this matter. The incident remains under investigation,