Weather Forecast


Car chase suspect faces multiple charges

A 38-year-old Nevada man appeared in Southeast District Court in Jamestown Tuesday on charges related to a high-speed car chase through southern Jamestown Monday afternoon.

John Martin Rech Jr., 990 Virbel Lane, Reno, Nev., had his initial court appearance before Judge John Greenwood Tuesday. He was charged with reckless endangerment, a Class C felony, fleeing or attempting to elude a police officer and driving a motor vehicle while under the influence/refusal of chemical test, both Class A misdemeanors.

Rech is being held in the Stutsman County Correctional Center. His bond was set at $4,000 cash.

Rech pulled up behind a white Chevrolet pickup truck that was stopped at the intersection of 1st Avenue South and 6th Street Southeast at 1:46 p.m., according to court documents. The Chevrolet was an unmarked Jamestown Police Department vehicle with a blue-red light on the passenger-side sun visor and a blue-red light in the back window.

Rech allegedly pulled up behind the truck in a maroon car, became agitated, pulled out and drove around the truck and allegedly used an obscene hand gesture at the driver — a Jamestown police officer. As Rech drove south on 1st Avenue South, the officer began his pursuit of Rech. The pursuit continued south on to Business Loop West. Other Jamestown police marked cars and two North Dakota Highway Patrol vehicles joined the pursuit.

Court documents state Rech allegedly drove his car into oncoming traffic while traveling south on U.S. Highway 281 South, and he proceeded to drive south out of Jamestown. Rech also allegedly drove his vehicle head-on at the police vehicles pursuing him and allegedly slammed on his brakes to try and get police vehicles to hit his car. Pursuing police vehicles reached speeds of more than 100 mph.

The pursuit ended when Rech turned his car around near Central Sales, traveled north on 281, then turned on to 37th Street Southwest before stopping his car in a gravel lot behind Dakota Engine Builders. Rech got out of the car and ran to the parking lot of the Super 8 motel where he was tackled and apprehended by Jason Falck, a detective with the Stutsman County Sheriff’s Office.

According to court documents, two police officers allegedly smelled a strong odor of alcohol on Rech after he was placed in handcuffs. He allegedly declined to take a preliminary breath test and a chemical breath test when asked to do so by a police officer.

After the pursuit came to halt, police officers saw that Rech had two children in the back seat, a 5-month-old and a 2-year-old. The children were later returned to their mother. There were no injuries related to the pursuit.

The maximum penalty for a Class C felony is five years in prison and a $10,000 fine. The maximum penalty for a Class A misdemeanor is 30 days in jail and a $1,500 fine.

Sun reporter Chris Olson can be reached at 701-952-8454 or by email at

Chris Olson

Hometown: Traverse City, MI College: Northwestern Michigan College and Michigan State University

(701) 952-8454