Weather Forecast


Medina fire leaves man without home

A 61-year-old Medina man is without a home after a kitchen fire caused damage to his house Tuesday evening.

Ron Headland, 302 3rd Ave., Medina, is staying at a hotel in the area after a fire damaged his home. Brian Shaw, regional communications officer with the American Red Cross Dakotas Region, said the Red Cross is helping Headland with a hotel room, food and clothing.

Medina Fire Department Chief Brian Rau said the fire was contained to the kitchen of the house, but there was extensive heat and smoke damage to the structure. Fourteen firefighters were on the scene for about three hours.

Rau said the fire started on the stove in the kitchen, according to what he was told by Headland.

Sun reporter Chris Olson can be reached at 701-952-8454 or by email at

Chris Olson

Hometown: Traverse City, MI College: Northwestern Michigan College and Michigan State University

(701) 952-8454