JIMMIE ROUNDUP: Young leads XC teams
University of Jamestown's Matthew Young turned in a gutsy performance Friday at the MSU-Moorhead Twilight cross country meet.
The senior from Woodland, Wash., made up 40 meters on University of Mary's Derek Myers in the final 100 of 7,000 meters to claim second in 22 minutes, 25.80 seconds. MSU-Moorhead's Nadir Yusuf won the race in 22:19.30, with Myers crossing third in 22:26.40.
"Matt ran a really great race and it was a heck of a finish," UJ cross country coach Jim Clark said. "He was able to blow past the Mary guy in the end and I think it was a really great confidence booster for him."
Aaron Ford finished 19th for the Jimmies (23:31.80) while Dustin Wagner collected 40th overall (24:39.20). The Jimmie men placed fifth at 128, just back of Valley City State at 123.
"Everyone made progress and ran a lot better than they did last week," Clark said. "Aaron ran a good race and Dustin in 40th, that's good for this race."
The Jimmie women, competing without a full team, was again paced by Allison Foster. The junior from Rugby crossed 31st in the women's 5,000-meter race in 20:10.50.
"Allison was about a minute faster than what she ran at Concordia last week," Clark said. "There was progress made by both teams."
The Jimmies next compete at the Roy Griak Invitational in Minneapolis, Minn., on Sept. 29.
MSU-Moorhead Twilight Meet
1. MSU-Moorhead 27, University of Mary 45; 3. Concordia (Minn.) 101; 4. Valley City State 123; 5. Jamestown 128; 6. Minot State 150; 7. Dickinson State 165.
1. Nadir Yusuf, MSU, 22:19.30; 2. Matthew Young, J, 22:25.80; 3. Derek Myers, Mary, 22:26.40; 4. Logan Spooner, MSU, 22:34.90; 5. Creighton Barrett, Mary, 22:39.30.
2. Matthew Young 22:25.80; 19. Aaron Ford 23:31.80; 40. Dustin Wagner 24:39.20; 59. Noah Mang 25:38.70; 67. Daniel Palmer 26:39.30; 70. Martin Calvillo 28:11.90; 71. Chandler Cork 29:50.30; 72. Jamont Mills 29:50.80; 73. Jorge Gonzalez 31:07.60.
Team winner: University of Mary 17
Individual winner: Jaiden Schuette, Mary, 17:47.30.
Jamestown: 31. Allison Foster 20:10.50; 59. Ayleen Coronado 22:16.20; 70. Brenitzalee Rodriguez 24:05.50; 76. Starla Rolff 27:53.9.
UJ women's soccer falls
The 25th-ranked University of Jamestown women's soccer team lost 4-0 at fourth-ranked Vanguard University in Costa Mesa, Calif. on Friday.
Jimmie senior goalie Lauren Sayler was kept busy all game. Sayler made 15 saves as the Lions outshot the Jimmies 38-4.
The Lions scored just once in the first half when Emily Miramontes found the back of the net unassisted. The home team tacked on three more after the break.
The Jimmies' Kirstyn Aldridge accounted for Jamestown's lone shot on goal. The Jimmies remain in California today (Saturday) for a match against 24th-ranked The Master's University, located in Santa Clarita.
(4) Vanguard 4, (25) Jamestown 0
1. V, Emily Miramontes, 33:02; 2. V, Karla Navarro (Malia Tilton), 50:36; 3. Tilton (Marielisa Hallam), 60:27; 4. Myranda Baca (Hallam), 69:56.
Goalkeeper saves: J, Laren Sayler 7-8--15. V, Haley Magana 0-1--1.
Records: Vanguard 5-1. Jamestown 3-2.