Mike Nowatzki reports for Forum News Service. He can be reached at (701) 255-5607.
- Member for
- 3 years 10 months
BISMARCK — A ballot measure aimed at expanding the rights of North Dakota crime victims and listing them in the state constitution would cost taxpayers nearly $2 million per year, according to an estimate presented to lawmakers Thursday. Marsy's Law for North Dakota spokeswoman Lacee Anderson disagreed with the fiscal note, saying it wrongly assumes all crime victims will opt for notification services. "It assumes there's going to be more people signing up, which we haven't seen in other states," she said.
BISMARCK — Despite more than $1 billion in agency budget cuts and planned fund transfers, North Dakota's general fund budget is still on track to end the biennium with a negative balance, the state's budget director said Thursday, Sept. 29.
BISMARCK – The North Dakota Department of Health’s public information director has resigned over comments she inadvertently posted from the department’s official Twitter account during the first U.S. presidential debate,...
BISMARCK — Opponents of a North Dakota ballot measure that would expand crime victims' rights and write them into the state constitution have formed a campaign committee chaired by former attorney general and district judge Robert Wefald of Bismarck. "This is simply bad constitutional law," Wefald said Wednesday, Sept. 21, at a Capitol press conference announcing the "No on 3" committee. The group opposes Marsy's Law for North Dakota, which will be listed as Measure 3 on the Nov. 8 statewide ballot.
BISMARCK — A panel chaired by Gov. Jack Dalrymple voted Wednesday, Sept. 21, to borrow up to $6 million from the state-owned Bank of North Dakota to support policing efforts related to the Dakota Access Pipeline protests, but not before members blasted the federal government for not providing more support. "I know we have to do it, but it's not right, and the lack of federal involvement is disgusting," House Majority Leader Al Carlson said before the six-member Emergency Commission unanimously approved the line of credit.
BISMARCK – The state Emergency Commission voted Wednesday, Sept. 21, to borrow up to $6 million from the state-owned Bank of North Dakota to support law enforcement efforts related to...
BISMARCK – Standing Rock Sioux Tribe Chairman Dave Archambault II on Tuesday, Sept. 20, brought the fight against the Dakota Access Pipeline to Geneva, Switzerland, asking members of the United...
BISMARCK – A joint task force led by the Morton County Sheriff’s Department is investigating a Sept. 3 clash between protesters of the Dakota Access Pipeline and the pipeline’s private...
BISMARCK — Months of research and discussion about how to limit the costly growth of North Dakota’s prison population will come to a head Monday, Sept. 19, when lawmakers and...
NEW SALEM, N.D. — Authorities upped the ante Wednesday, Sept. 14, in trying to discourage protesters from disrupting work on the Dakota Access Pipeline, pledging to pursue felony reckless endangerment charges against protesters who attach themselves to construction equipment. Morton County Sheriff Kyle Kirchmeier said the felony charge, punishable by up to five years in prison and a $10,000 fine, reflects the seriousness of the crime. Protesters in similar situations were previously arrested on misdemeanor charges such as criminal trespass, preventing arrest and obstruction.