Mike Nowatzki reports for Forum News Service. He can be reached at (701) 255-5607.
- Member for
- 5 years 5 months
BISMARCK – With challenger Bernie Sanders still nipping at her heels, Democratic frontrunner Hillary Clinton is ramping up her campaign’s presence in North Dakota ahead of the state party’s June 7 caucuses to elect delegates to the national convention. The Hillary for North Dakota campaign on Thursday named Marcella Jewell as its state director. Jewell also has organized Clinton’s campaign in New Hampshire, Maine and Indiana.
BISMARCK—Former President Bill Clinton will campaign for Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton on May 20 in Fargo, her campaign announced Wednesday. A campaign statement said the nation's 42nd president also will attend public events that day in Sioux Falls, S.D., and Billings, Mont., and will "discuss why Hillary Clinton is the best candidate to break down all the barriers holding families back."
BISMARCK -- Former President Bill Clinton will speak at a campaign rally for presidential candidate Hillary Clinton on May 20 in Fargo, North Dakota Democratic-NPL Party Executive Director Robert Haider confirmed Wednesday. Haider said he didn’t have details about the time and location. Hillary Clinton’s state director for North Dakota, Marcella Jewell, responded to a request for comment with a text message saying a press advisory will be going out later.
BISMARCK — A California billionaire bankrolling a national effort to expand the rights of crime victims and enshrine them in state constitutions has dedicated more than $1 million to Marsy's Law for North Dakota, supporters disclosed Tuesday before submitting more than 44,000 signatures to put the measure to voters. Secretary of State Al Jaeger has until June 14 to verify at least 26,904 signatures for the constitutional amendment — which faces opposition from defense attorneys and prosecutors alike — to land on the Nov. 8 ballot.
BISMARCK — The prosecutor who charged several high-ranking North Dakota Department of Human Services employees with conspiring to impede the investigation into the drowning-related death of a 5-year-old girl last summer has resigned, along with the special prosecutor helping her with the cases. McHenry County State's Attorney Cassey Breyer resigned on May 3, informing the County Commission in a letter that she has taken another job and her last day will be June 29.
BISMARCK — Supporters of a proposed measure that aims to broaden the rights of North Dakota crime victims and faces opposition from defense attorneys say they have more than the number of signatures needed to put the measure on the November ballot.
BISMARCK—Attorney General Wayne Stenehjem said Friday he will support the Republican Party's nominee for president but stopped short of endorsing—or even mentioning—presumptive nominee Donald Trump. Meanwhile, his main opponent for the GOP nomination for governor, Fargo businessman Doug Burgum, clarified on Friday that he is endorsing Trump but not necessarily his behavior. Burgum released a statement Thursday night declaring his support for Trump, prompting requests for comment from Stenehjem, who issued an emailed statement around noon Friday.
BISMARCK — The State Historical Society is firing back against a contractor who sued the agency for withholding payment for work done on the North Dakota Heritage Center expansion, saying the firm's failure to fix cracks and water leaks has caused damages in excess of $50,000. The state is seeking at least that amount in a counterclaim filed last week as part of its answer to the breach-of-contract lawsuit filed in March by Wahpeton-based Comstock Construction Inc.
BISMARCK — Xcel Energy assured North Dakota regulators Thursday that it's taking steps to improve reliability for Fargo customers after five power outages in the past two weeks and paying out nearly $400,000 in credits to customers for failing to meet performance targets set in 2012. Minneapolis-based Xcel blamed failures in the same underground cable for outages Sunday and Monday that affected about 4,600 Fargo customers, some for nearly two hours.
BISMARCK — State agencies that were forced to shave 4 percent from their budgets in February must find another 6 percent to cut for next biennium, Gov. Jack Dalrymple ordered Wednesday in budget guidelines that call for reductions for the first time since 2002. Dalrymple cited reduced oil drilling activity and a severe shortfall in sales tax revenue as factors behind his request for general fund budgets at 90 percent of what was originally appropriated to agencies for ongoing expenditures in the current two-year cycle.