Mike Nowatzki, Forum News Service
BISMARCK — The Republican candidate who emerges from the June primary election as the party's nominee for governor in November will benefit from a considerable campaign war chest that outgoing Gov. Jack Dalrymple no longer needs. Dalrymple announced in August that he wouldn't seek a second full term in office. But he still had to file a year-end campaign contribution statement, which shows he had $114,256 on hand. Dalrymple could legally pocket that money for personal use, under a state law the legislature's Democratic minority tried unsuccessfully to change last year.
BISMARCK — North Dakota Democrats aren't giving up on the governor's race in November despite Thursday's surprising announcement by former state agriculture commissioner Sarah Vogel that she will not run for office, party chairwoman Kylie Oversen said Friday. "I would certainly not say that we've given up hope. We will stand behind and fully support our candidate when that time comes," she said.
BISMARCK — Job Service North Dakota is slashing 60 jobs and closing seven of its 16 offices to cover a $4.1 million budget shortfall at a time of record filings for unemployment insurance benefits, Executive Director Cheri Geisen said Thursday. The cuts affect 22 regular staff, 12 temporary staff positions and 26 vacant positions, Geisen told reporters in Bismarck. "It's extremely difficult," she said, saying the cuts "in no way reflect the dedication of the staff that were reduced today."
BISMARCK — The biggest question in the race for North Dakota governor may finally be answered next week. Fargo businessman Doug Burgum said in a statement Thursday that he will announce Jan. 14 his intentions regarding the gubernatorial race. Additional details will be coming next week, he said. Attorney General Wayne Stenehjem and state Rep. Rick Becker, R-Bismarck, are so far the only Republicans who have declared their intent to seek the GOP nomination at the party's state convention April 1-3 in Fargo.
BISMARCK — Tickets for the North Dakota Lottery's first new multi-state draw game in six years will hit convenience store counters next month, offering better odds than Powerball or Mega Millions but with a smaller and distinctively styled jackpot. The game, Lucky for Life, launches Jan. 31. In-store advertising will begin after Jan. 1, Lottery Director Randy Miller said. The state Lottery Commission finalized rules for the game last fall, and a legislative committee accepted them Dec. 7.
BISMARCK — Sebastian "Buckshot" Hoffner, a longtime state legislator who played a key role in the 1958 merger of North Dakota's Nonpartisan League and Democratic Party, died Thursday at a long-term care facility in Bismarck. He was 91.
BISMARCK—Bismarck attorney and former state agriculture commissioner Sarah Vogel has formed an exploratory committee for a possible run for governor, the Democrat said Monday, the day before Republican Attorney General Wayne Stenehjem was set to formally announce his candidacy. Vogel, 69, had said earlier this month that she was exploring a run for governor.
BISMARCK — The fate of a North Dakota law that would establish the strictest abortion ban in the nation is now in the hands of nine U.S. Supreme Court justices. Attorney General Wayne Stenehjem has petitioned the high court to take up the 2013 law that would make it a Class C felony for a doctor to perform an abortion if the fetus has a detectable heartbeat, which is at about six weeks of pregnancy. U.S.
BISMARCK — North Dakota's tax revenues fell short of projections by nearly $49 million in October, marking the third consecutive month of lower-than-expected collections and prompting the state budget office to discuss updating the forecast given to lawmakers in March. Overall tax revenues are $112 million, or 7.5 percent, less than projected for the first four months of the 2015-17 biennium that began July 1, according to figures released Wednesday by the state Office of Management and Budget. Depressed crude oil prices and farm commodity prices continue to put a major dent in sales
BISMARCK – North Dakota’s state-owned bank is launching a $300 million loan program to help farmers struggling with low commodity prices and below-average crop production. The state Industrial Commission voted...