Tran is an enterprise reporter with the Forum of Fargo-Moorhead. He began his newspaper career in 1999 as a reporter for the Grand Forks Herald, now owned by Forum Communications. He began working for the Forum in September 2014. Tran grew up in Seattle and graduated from the University of Washington.
- Member for
- 5 years 1 week
FARGO—Big changes may be ahead for the Fargo-Moorhead flood diversion, including shifting flood impact and increasing costs, with the conclusion of a task force seeking ways to get a permit for the project from Minnesota regulators. The group, which held its final meeting Monday, Dec. 11, at the Fargodome, agreed broadly to some changes to the $2.2 billion diversion channel and Red River dam, but disagreed on others. The regulators say these changes move the project closer to a permit, but there were no guarantees.
FARGO — Between now and Saturday, Dec. 9, Kailen Rosenberg's scouts will be combing local hangouts for women who match a certain profile and inviting them to an interview. The position they'd be interviewing for will be girlfriend to one of two well-heeled bachelors from Fargo and, perhaps some day, wife. "We have a cute little card that says 'You've been noticed' — and then it says underneath it — 'as being authentically beautiful,'" said Rosenberg, a nationally-known matchmaker based in Minneapolis. "Hopefully we'll be handing out a lot of cards."
FARGO — Last year, businesses and homeowners in Fargo benefited from $1.35 million in property tax incentives from the city, according to data from the city's annual financial report and interviews with city officials. This was tax money that went uncollected by City Hall or was collected but could only be used for a specific commercial development.
MOORHEAD — On the big screens at the front of the room was a colorful flowchart engineers put together in hopes of leading the Fargo-Moorhead diversion task force to a consensus. There were six potential modifications to the $2.2 billion flood-control project the group was to methodically narrow down for the engineers to study further.
FARGO — From what would have been a list of more than 70 alternatives to the Fargo-Moorhead flood diversion, a task force seeking to reconcile the project with Minnesota regulations agreed to a much shorter list at its meeting on Monday, Nov. 13. Though task force members skeptical of or opposed to the $2.2 billion project showed interest in looking at radically different alternatives, many long-standing constraints appear to have steered the group back to something resembling the existing plan.
FARGO — All parties to the federal lawsuit against the $2.2 billion Fargo-Moorhead flood diversion have agreed to put the suit on pause while a bi-state task force tries to hammer out a compromise, the Diversion Authority said Friday, Nov. 3. These parties include the authority and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers as defendants and the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources and Richland-Wilkin Joint Powers Authority as plaintiffs.
FARGO — A former city sanitation worker trying to get his job back after shoving a supervisor whom he accused of making racist statements to him was rebuffed by city commissioners Monday, Oct. 30. Elected city leaders were Aaron Cockfield's last hope within the city's appeals procedure, but they voted 3-0—with two members absent—to uphold his division leader's decision to fire him. Those voting were Mayor Tim Mahoney and Commissioners Tony Grindberg and Dave Piepkorn.
HUNTER, N.D. — Growing up, Donald Aune would hear stories from his mother about the sod house she lived in as a child in the late 1800s near Milton, N.D. She talked about how cozy it was despite the harsh prairie winters and how hard it was to keep clean; it was made of dirt, he said. And she talked about snakes. "Sometimes the snakes would be hanging in there," he said. "Wasn't that many, I don't think. They would crawl in."
FARGO — Minnesota Gov. Mark Dayton and North Dakota Gov. Doug Burgum reiterated their desire to work together to protect Fargo-Moorhead from flooding following a conference call about the $2.2 billion flood diversion project Monday, Sept. 25. The call was closed to the public but the governors' spokesmen each released statements afterwards, which included a hopeful note for diversion supporters that Dayton would consider allowing them to apply again for a dam permit.
FARGO — A prosecutor has decided not to charge a man reportedly involved in a fight that left Isaiah Smith, a junior at North Dakota State University, with serious facial injuries, because "accounts from the scene tend to show Smith was the aggressor," according to a prosecutor's report. Smith's family disagrees with the prosecutor's decision and believes there are discrepancies with Smith's injuries and what the other man in the fight and witnesses say happened during the altercation on Saturday, Sept. 2.