Before I start my article, I just wanted to remind people that Extension will not be hosting any face-to-face meetings through April 5. If you were planning to attend any Extension meeting across the state between now and April 5, please call/email the organizer for postponement plans.
The following information was written by Karl Hoppe, Extension livestock systems specialist from the Carrington Research Extension Center about moldy cattle feed and whether or not to feed it.
How much mold is too much when feeding beef cattle? The goal is to feed very little mold but sometimes that’s an unrealistic expectation in the ranching business. The two most common sources of mold for cattle are hay and silage.
It is extremely difficult to make hay in high rainfall regions without some mold. Untimely rains allow for mold growth in the windrow before baling and when hay is baled too wet, the molds will grow inside the round bale. Looks are deceiving since the hay bales can look fine on the outside but are moldy on the inside. If bales are ground or shredded, we never see the mold in the hay bale other than an abnormal dust cloud.
Corn silage that isn’t covered with plastic will develop several layers of mold. The top, black mold layer is decomposed feed. It has lost most of its feed value and should be discarded and not fed. The next mold layer is white and shows the transition between the non-fermented and fermented silage pile. Usually the white mold layer is drier than the fermented part of the silage pile since it lost moisture due to exposure to sun and wind.
With the ongoing, late corn harvest in eastern North Dakota, molds are being seen on wet, light test weight corn. An NDSU Extension resource on moldy corn can be found here: https://www.ag.ndsu.edu/publications/crops/corn-ear-molds-basic-questions-and-answers/pp1451.pdf.
Experience indicates that beef cattle can consume some mold without too many problems. However, when sporadic abortions occur in a cow herd, mold or fungal abortions are incriminated. Testing for abortions caused by mycotoxins (toxins caused by molds) at the NDSU Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory (VDL) should include both the fetus and the placenta.
If you suspect molds are present in your stored feeds, you are encouraged to contact your local NDSU Extension agent. There is an ongoing effort to collect samples of moldy, stored feeds which will help develop a stored feed research testing procedure and program at the NDSU VDL.
For more information, contact the Stutsman County Extension office at 701-252-9030, go online at: www.ag.ndsu.edu/stutsmancountyextension or e-mail Alicia Harstad at firstname.lastname@example.org.