North Dakota's total oil production in December was slightly above the November mark, but dipped slightly on a barrels per day basis.

North Dakota production was a 45.7 million barrels or 1.48 million barrels per day in December, the state Department of Mineral Resources announced Friday, Feb. 14. The daily production figure is below the 1.52 million barrels per day pace of November, which is the all-time high for the state.

The rig count has been holding steady, with the number of operating drilling rigs currently at 56. The oil industry projects a rig count in the mid-50s for all of 2020, according the department.

The natural gas capture rate was a 84%, with the remaining 16% burned off or flared. The goal for gas capture set by the North Dakota Industrial Commission is 88% during the period that runs through October of this year. The goal for gas capture then increases to 91% on Nov. 1.

WDAY logo
listen live
watch live