Information on upcoming farm bill to be presented in Valley City

A representative from Dakota Resource Council will be at this event.

Sam Wagner.jpg
Sam Wagner
Contributed / Sam Wagner

VALLEY CITY, N.D. — A presentation on the upcoming farm bill is planned from 7 to 9 p.m. Monday, Feb. 13, in the auditorium of the Rhoades Science Center on the campus of Valley City State University. The event is free and the public is encouraged to attend.

The presentation will be a listening session co-sponsored by “What in the World Is Going On?” and the Dakota Resource Council. The Dakota Resource Council wants to hear from residents, farmers and ranchers in the area.

Every five years the federal government reviews, changes and passes a new farm bill. Many people feel it only includes farmers and ranchers, but about 75% of the farm bill goes to nutrition programming, including SNAP (food stamps), school meals, the fresh fruit and vegetable program in schools and other nutrition programs for Americans. The other 25% of the budget goes to commodities for farmers, conservation, federal loan programs for farmers, rural development to foster rural economic growth, research and extension, forestry, programs that encourage growing and processing crops for biofuel, horticulture and crop insurance.

Sam Wagner, one of the presenters, is the ag and field organizer for Dakota Resource Council. He has been on staff for nearly four years. Wagner has also worked as a general laborer in agriculture at Dakota Plains Cooperative and a floor worker at the malting plant for Cargill in Spiritwood North Dakota prior to working for DRC.

In this presentation, DRC will briefly review major areas of the 2023 Farm Bill and why sound policy for family farms, ranches and consumers will make communities healthier and stronger and provide information on how to interact with your federal representatives and take action.


The DRC would then like to hear attendees' thoughts and ideas about issues such as rural development, conservation programs, crop insurance, ranching opportunities and other topics of interest.

“What in the World Is Going On?”, a co-sponsor of this presentation, is a campus-community group jointly sponsored by VCSU’s Departments of Science and Social Science and members of the Valley City community. For more information, call 701-845-7321.

The Dakota Resource Council is a grassroots organization dedicated to sustainable rural living.

What To Read Next
Get Local