NDSU Carrington Research Extension Center holding virtual beef production field day
North Dakota State University’s Carrington Research Extension Center (CREC) is holding its annual field day virtually this year because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
“We’re eager to use this new approach to still get the latest research and information to producers,” said Karl Hoppe, Extension livestock systems specialist at the center. “Plus, they’ll be able to watch all the videos on their own time and as many times as they want.”
Prerecorded videos on beef production, agronomy, horticulture and organic/sustainable agriculture will go live July 14. Anyone can view them from a smartphone, laptop or computer at https://www.ag.ndsu.edu/CarringtonREC .
Topics and speakers for this year’s beef production program are:
- Impacts of trace mineral supplements on preweaning and postweaning beef calf performance - Bryan Neville, CREC animal scientist
- Alternative grains for feedlot cattle - Wayde Rodehorst, CREC research specialist
- Alternative roughages for beef cattle - Rebecca Moore, NDSU Animal Sciences Department graduate student
- Update on the Dakota Feeder Calf Show - Hoppe
- Alternative protein sources such as field peas or distillers grains - Hoppe
- Composting: dead animal and offal disposal - Mary Keena, CREC livestock environmental management specialist
- Keys to being a low-cost cow-calf producer - Bryon Parman, Extension agricultural finance specialist, NDSU Agribusiness and Applied Economics Department
- Market situation for next fall’s feeder calves - Tim Petry, Extension livestock economist, NDSU Agribusiness and Applied Economics Department
- Heat stress and pneumonia in feedlot cattle and cows - Gerald Stokka, Extension veterinarian and animal stewardship specialist, NDSU Animal Sciences Department
- Selling retail meat from home and local foods - Rob Maddock, associate professor, NDSU Animal Sciences Department
For more information about the beef production program, contact Hoppe or Neville at 701-652-2951 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com .