The "What's Happening" calendar features information on benefits, fundraisers and cultural events in the area. To list an event, call Kathy Steiner at 952-8449 or email email@example.com. Any admission charge or fee for events must be inc...
The “What’s Happening” calendar features information on benefits, fundraisers and cultural events in the area. To list an event, call Kathy Steiner at 952-8449 or email firstname.lastname@example.org . Any admission charge or fee for events must be included. A contact name and telephone number are required for Sun questions. Rummage sales are not published in What’s Happening.
- Jam session: Bluegrass Jam is from 7 to 9 p.m. Thursdays at Atonement Lutheran Church, 1009 12th Ave. NE. The jam session is free.
- Play: Dakota Prairie Regional Center for the Arts presents “The Gifts of the Magi” at 7:30 p.m. Friday, 2:30 p.m. Saturday and Sunday at the Old Church Theatre in New Rockford. The musical is also at 7:30 p.m. Dec. 11 and 2:30 p.m. Dec. 12-13. Tickets are $25 for adults, $18 for children through college age. Call (701) 947-2174 for tickets and more information.
- Dinner concert: Jamestown Choralaires perform at 7 p.m. Friday and Saturday, Dec. 18-19, at the Zebedee Center at St. John’s Academy, 215 5th St. SE, Jamestown. Sabir’s Buffalo City Grille is catering the meal. Tickets are $35 and available only at Looysen I Care, 821 1st Ave. S. Purchase tickets from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Wednesday, from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday and from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Friday. Seating is limited.
- Christmas show: A Magical Musical Medora Christmas variety show is at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Reiland Fine Arts Center. The show includes Medora Musical co-hosts Bill Sorenson and Emily Walter and yodeler Jared Mason. Tickets are $20 and available from 3 to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday at the Reiland Fine Arts Center Box Office in room 130 of the Reiland Fine Arts Center.
- UJ concert: The University of Jamestown Wind Ensemble will present its semester concert at 2 p.m. Sunday in DeNault Auditorium at the Reiland Fine Arts Center on the UJ campus. A silent auction is from 1 to 2 p.m. and 30 minutes after the concert. The concert is free.
- Holiday concert: Handel’s Messiah Community Recital is at 7:30 p.m. Monday at the Jamestown High School. Concert is free; freewill donations will be accepted. Cookies and cider will be available following the concert.
- Christmas concert: The University of Jamestown Choir Christmas Concert is at 7:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday, Dec. 11-12, and at 2 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 13, at St. James Basilica. Tickets are $10 at the door or by calling the Reiland Fine Arts Center Box Office at 252-3467, ext. 5435.
- Suchy concert: Chuck Suchy will perform a concert at 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 12, at the Arts Center. Tickets are $10 for Arts Center members and students and $15 for nonmembers and are available at the door.
Special Events/Around Town
- Swimming: Open swimming runs from through March at Jamestown High School. Open swimming times are from 1 to 4 p.m. Sundays and from 7 to 8:30 p.m. Wednesdays. Admission is free. There will be no open swimming Dec. 23.
- Skating: Public skating is from 7 to 9 p.m. Sundays. Cost: $2 for children and college students, $3 for adults and $5 for a family. Skate rentals are $2, and skate sharpening is $3. Punch cards (12 punches) are available for $20 for children, $30 for adults, $50 for a family, $20 for skate rentals and $30 for skate sharpening. For more information, call Wilson Arena at 252-3939.
- Free suppers: Friendship suppers are from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m.Tuesdays in the Liebelt Center at Seventh-day Adventist Church,1201 4th St. NE. If anyone needs a ride, contact the church at 952-7770 or call Terri at 269-9533.
- Bingo: Winter bingo is at 7 p.m. Friday at Reister’s Meats, 106 Water St. W, Medina. Winter bingo is at 7 p.m. every other Friday through the end of March. Funds raised support community service and projects fighting blindness by the Medina Lions Club.
- Public meeting: United Sportsmen Jamestown Chapter will hold a public meeting at 7 p.m. today at the Knights of Columbus Hall in Jamestown. The meeting is to see if there is enough support in the community and surrounding areas to develop and sustain a public and educational shooting range.
- Craft show: The third annual Ave Maria Volunteer Holiday Bazaar is from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday in the Barthel Room at Ave Maria Village, 501 19th St. NE.
- Christmas on Main: Christmas on Main is from 3 to 7 p.m. Sunday in Edgeley. For more information, call (701) 709-0333.
- Craft show: The Winter Wonderland Craft & Vendor Show is from noon to 5 p.m. Sunday at the Gladstone Inn & Suites. Many vendors will be present. Cider and hot cocoa will be served.
- Benefit fundraiser: A spaghetti feed and silent auction for Cainna Ova, who was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer, is from 5 to 8 p.m. Wednesday at the Knights of Columbus Hall, 519 1st Ave. S, Jamestown. The cost of the supper is a freewill donation. All proceeds will go toward medical bills, the cost of transportation and hotel rooms. If anyone would like to donate to the silent auction or for more information, contact Linda Ova at (701) 269-1089.
- Boutique: A Christmas Boutique is from 9 to 11:30 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 12, at St. John’s Lutheran Church, 424 1st Ave. S, in Jamestown. For more information, call 252-1198. Several baskets will be available for purchase along with Christmas candies, jelly, ornaments, cards, napkins and many more items.
- Bake sale: Prairie Paws Rescue’s bake sale is from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday in front of Sears in the Buffalo Mall.
- Bison: The National Buffalo Museum is open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Saturday. Admission: $5 for adults, $4 for seniors and AAA members, $10 for a family and $1 for children ages 7 to 18.
- Books and more: Alfred Dickey Library hours are 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Thursday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Friday and 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday. To access the Story Line, call 252-7464. The library is located at 105 3rd St. SE. Storytime for toddlers and preschoolers is from 10 to 10:30 a.m. Tuesday; no large groups due to limited space. No registration required for storytime.
- Reading: Stutsman County Library hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. The library is located at 910 5th St. SE.
- Art: The Arts Center, 115 2nd St. SW, Jamestown, is open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday or by appointment. There is no admission charge.
- Art exhibits: “Visibility Ten Miles: A Prairie Memoir in Photography and Poetry” and “North Dakota/South Dakota Photographic Survey” is open in the Arts Center Gallery. The “Visibility” exhibit features poet Sharon Chmielarz and photographer Ken Smith while the second features a collaboration between John Benasiak and Ryan Stander.
- Wood carving: A local wood carving group meets from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Thursdays in the Arts Center’s Hansen Arts Studio. There is no charge. Any skill and interest level welcome. Call Andy Kudrna at 320-5075 with questions.
- Carrington: The Putnam House in Carrington is open for special events and by appointment by calling (701) 652-2090. There is no admission charge.
- Valley City: The Barnes County Historical Museum, 315 Central Ave. N, Valley City, is open year round from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Saturday. Admission is a freewill donation.
- Cooperstown: The Ronald Reagan Minuteman Missile Historic Site near Cooperstown is open 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday, Thursday through Saturday and 1 to 5 p.m. Sunday. Admission is $10 for adults, $3 for children, $1 for a child, $30 for family season passes and $15 for an individual season pass. Contact Mark Sundlov at (701) 797-3691 for more information.
- Wimbledon: The Midland Continental Railroad Depot Featuring Peggy Lee in Wimbledon is open by appointment. For more information or to make an appointment, contact Mary Orn at (701) 435-2875. Admission is a freewill donation.
- Wildlife refuge: The Arrowwood National Wildlife Refuge Visitor Center is open year-round from 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday excluding federal holidays. The refuge trail system is open daily from sunrise to sunset.