Weather Forecast


Eddy residents affected by outage can get replacement benefits


Eddy County residents who receive Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program benefits and lost food purchased with benefits due to power outages from Sunday’s storm have 10 calendar days to seek replacement benefits. They must report their food loss by July 19 to the Eddy County Social Service Office during regular business hours.

Dura said that in June 2018, 93 households in Eddy County received SNAP benefits.

She said after the county social service office verifies a food loss, replacement SNAP benefits are issued to affected clients’ debit cards, called EBT cards. Clients use EBT cards at participating grocery stores, farmers markets and other USDA-approved retailers to purchase food items.

The program will replace the amount of the loss, up to the amount a household received as a benefit in July. For example, if a household reports a food loss of $100 and the household received benefits of $100 in July, $100 in replacement benefits would be issued once the loss is verified.

Human services officials issue replacement SNAP benefits if households have their food supplies damaged or destroyed due to power outages or other disaster situations.

People with questions can contact the local county social service office or the department at 800-755-2716 or ND Relay TTY 800-366-6888. County contact information is online