Weather Forecast


Woman accused in pregnant Fargo woman's disappearance must undergo psychiatric evaluation

Brooke Crews appears with her attorney Steven Mottinger on Thursday, Sept. 28, 2017, to waive her right to a preliminary hearing for conspiracy to commit murder of Savanna LaFontaine-Greywind. (Michael Vosburg / Forum News Service)

FARGO — Brooke Lynn Crews, one of two suspects charged in the killing of Savanna LaFontaine-Greywind and abduction of her newborn daughter, has been ordered to undergo a psychiatric evaluation at the North Dakota State Hospital in Jamestown.

Crews' attorney, Steven Mottinger, filed the proposed order for commitment for evaluation on Tuesday, Oct. 3, and the order was made one day later. Court documents did not indicate when the evaluation would take place. Mottinger was out of town on Friday, Oct. 6, and unavailable for comment.

Crews, 38, and William Henry Hoehn, 32, have been charged with conspiracy to commit murder in the death of LaFontaine-Greywind, conspiracy to commit kidnapping in the abduction of her newborn baby daughter, and providing false information to police.

At Crews' arraignment last week, she declined to enter pleas to the charges, but her attorney asked the court to enter pleas of not guilty on her behalf. Hoehn waived his right to a preliminary hearing and pleaded not guilty.

The next scheduled court date for Crews is Jan. 3 when she will have a felony dispositional conference before Cass County District Judge Frank Racek. Hoehn's dispositional conference is set for Dec. 6.

Crews and Hoehn lived on the third floor of the same north Fargo apartment building where LaFontaine-Greywind lived with her family. LaFontaine-Greywind, 22, was eight months pregnant when she was reported missing on Aug. 19. She had gone upstairs that day to help Crews with a sewing project, but was never seen alive by family again.

Crews was arrested on Aug. 24 at her apartment, and police found LaFontaine-Greywind's newborn baby daughter, Haisley Jo, in her possession. Hoehn was arrested later the same day at his place of employment. LaFontaine-Greywind's body was found in the Red River eight days after she disappeared. Police said she died as a result of "homicidal violence."

According to court documents, Crews told police that on the day LaFontaine-Greywind disappeared she had instructed her on how to self-induce childbirth. Crews claimed LaFontaine-Greywind then left her apartment, returned two days later at 3:30 a.m. and gave Crews an infant.

Hoehn's account of what happened differed significantly. He told police that he came home from work at 2:30 p.m. on the Saturday LaFontaine-Greywind disappeared and found Crews cleaning up blood in their bathroom. Hoehn said Crews presented him with a baby girl, stating, "This is our baby. This is our family."

Charging documents said Crews and Hoehn conspired to murder LaFontaine-Greywind so that they could obtain her child and "so that the child could be raised as (their) biological child."

Reporters' inquiries made after the suspects were arrested revealed that Crews had at least seven children of her own by at least five men, but had limited contact with all of them. She had been sued for child support by two of the men.

Crews in court documents said she had been unable to work because she had "been ill for quite a while." She didn't specify the nature of her illness.