Sections

Weather Forecast

Close

South Dakota man dies of carbon monoxide poisoning from generator in garage

HARTFORD, S.D. — A 38-year-old Hartford man died Monday afternoon, April 15, in his garage in what is believed to be carbon monoxide poisoning from a portable generator.

The Minnehaha County Sheriff's Office said Tuesday that Dustin Patch was using the generator in his attached garage to power a sump pump inside the home.

The generator was being used because of recent power outages in the Hartford area, which is about 15 miles west of Sioux Falls.

Sheriff's Sgt. Zachary Cegelske said the accident was a reminder to use portable generators in a well-ventilated area away from the home and to use carbon monoxide detectors inside homes.

If generators are used in garages, it's recommended that the garage doors are open. It's also recommended to keep generators away from combustible materials.