A man was shot and killed by law enforcement after a pursuit late Wednesday morning that started in Jamestown and ended north of Medina, according to the Jamestown Police Department.

Jamestown Chief of Police Scott Edinger said the pursuit involved the Police Department and Stutsman County Sheriff’s Office. He said the vehicle the suspect was driving got stuck and the suspect attempted to flee on foot. Edinger said the suspect shot at pursuing Sheriff’s Office vehicles during the pursuit. He said sheriff’s deputies and Jamestown police officers shot the suspect after he got out of the stuck vehicle.

WDAY logo
listen live
watch live
Newsletter signup for email alerts

Edinger said he could not say how many law enforcement officers were involved in the shooting.

“There will be internal and external investigations as there always is when there is an officer-involved shooting,” he said.

Stutsman County Sheriff Chad Kaiser said the suspect died. He believed the man was 27, and he didn’t know where the man was from.

Kaiser said the man shot at the Sheriff’s Office vehicles with a handgun. He said he didn’t know if there were any other weapons in the vehicle.

"There will be internal and external investigations as there always is when there is an officer-involved shooting.

Jamestown SCOTT EDINGER chief of , police

Kaiser said the North Dakota Bureau of Criminal Investigation was assisting the Sheriff’s Office at the scene. He said the BCI will also be conducting the external investigation into the officer-involved shooting.

Kaiser said Medina Ambulance Service responded to the scene where the pursuit ended.

Maj. John Johnson, Jamestown assistant chief of police, said the pursuit started when a police officer identified the suspect as driving under suspension. He said the suspect was pursued to an area northwest of Jamestown where the pursuit was called off by Jamestown police and continued by the Sheriff’s Office.

Edinger said the North Dakota Highway Patrol provided support during the pursuit and after.

Brian Christopherson, Medina Public School superintendent, said the school was locked down for about 15 minutes starting at 2:22 p.m. Wednesday after he received a call from a Medina City official that that there was an incident taking place north of Medina. Christopherson said he called the Sheriff’s Office to confirm there was an incident and that the school should be in lockdown. He said he received a call 15 minutes later that the threat had been taken care of.


(701) 952-8454