Weather Forecast


Bison head coach Klieman accepts head coaching job at Kansas State, will stay with NDSU for FCS playoffs

Minn. man charged, released from custody

Chase Urie, 20, Proctor, Minn., was released on his own recognizance Monday after being charged with two felonies. Courtesy / Stutsman County Correctional Center

A Minnesota man charged with trespassing and criminal mischief in a weekend incident was released from custody on his own recognizance.

Chase Michael Urie, 20, Proctor, Minn., was charged with criminal trespass and criminal mischief, Class C felonies, in Southeast District Court in Jamestown Monday. He is accused of entering a dwelling without permission and intentionally damaging doors causing damage of more than $2,000. He is also charged with minor in consumption of alcohol in Jamestown Municipal Court.

Police officers were called to a residence in northwest Jamestown at about 4:40 a.m. Sunday. Residents of a neighboring home reported someone had broken in a back door on a neighboring home occupied by one of their family members. The callers were able to remove their family member from the home before officers arrived.

The family invoked its Marsy Law rights and their names were redacted from police reports.

According to a Jamestown Police Department investigative report, when officers approached the house they saw a male, later identified as Urie, approach the door. Officers ordered Urie out of the home with his hands up. Instead he retreated into the home, and officers called the James Valley Special Operations Team to the scene.

Urie was found by officers asleep in a back bedroom of the house at approximately 8 a.m.and taken into custody.

During questioning at the Stutsman County Law Enforcement Center, Urie said he had been drinking and left another house with friends. Those friends did not drop him off where he expected, and he thought he was at a friend's house and just going to bed.

Urie is a student at the University of Jamestown at this time, according to Tena Lawrence, University of Jamestown vice president of public relations and marketing, and resides on campus, according to the Jamestown Police Department.

The police report said Urie maintained he did not see police officers at the door, did not know who owned the home he was found in and had never been invited into the home before.

Urie's next court appearance is a preliminary hearing and/or arraignment scheduled for Nov. 28.

Jamestown Police Chief Scott Edinger estimated incidents of people, usually intoxicated, entering the wrong residence occur in Jamestown three or four times each year. This is the first incident where police involved the Special Operations Team in locating and apprehending an individual.