Guests of 22 rooms at the Gladstone Inn & Suites were evacuated from the building as a precaution Thursday morning in response to a kitchen fire, according to Tom Simpson, general manager of the hotel.

The fire was contained to one appliance in the kitchen but resulted in smoke damage throughout the kitchen, banquet rooms and front lobby, according to Sheldon Mohr, training officer of the Jamestown Fire Department.

The department was dispatched at about 7:40 a.m. to a fire reported under the fryer, according to scanner traffic at the time. Four units and 22 firefighters responded and were on the scene for about two hours, Mohr said.

Simpson said the hotel was reopened for guests but the kitchen and restaurant remained shut down Thursday.

WDAY logo
listen live
watch live