ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

For lease

Efforts continue to bring new businesses into the Spiritwood Energy Park, the Spiritwood Energy Park Association Board learned Thursday. Rich Garman, the project manager, and Connie Ova, SEPA chief operating officer and Jamestown/Stutsman Develop...

Efforts continue to bring new businesses into the Spiritwood Energy Park, the Spiritwood Energy Park Association Board learned Thursday.

Rich Garman, the project manager, and Connie Ova, SEPA chief operating officer and Jamestown/Stutsman Development Corp. CEO, updated the board on recruiting efforts.

SEPA is a joint project with the JSDC owning about 70 percent of the industrial park and Great River Energy owning the remaining 30 percent.

"We've been working with a few potential tenants," Garman said. "Some are bolt-on type tenants for DSA (Dakota Spirit AgEnergy), and DSA has taken a lead role in a lot of those projects."

Dakota Spirit AgEnergy is an ethanol-producing plant built by Midwest AgEnergy Group in Spiritwood Energy Park.

ADVERTISEMENT

Planning continues for the construction of a soybean crushing plant at Spiritwood, according to information in a grant application made by the North Dakota Soybean Processors to the Agricultural Products Utilization Commission.

Garman said there are other tenants, value-added agricultural processing facilities, that are considering the industrial park as a location. He said one is "doing some serious looking at that."

"We are just waiting for things to line up," Garman said. "It's still looking very positive with the groups we have looking (at Spiritwood Energy Park)."

Garman said SEPA had an engineering firm, SEH of Bismarck, do a wetlands inventory of the property where future facilities could go.

"We need to have this (the wetlands inventory) if we want to add tenants," he said.

Ova said the North Dakota Department of Transportation offers loans of up to $5.25 million to companies that will use railroads as a transportation option. She said the loans have a "great" interest rate and the loan could be taken out by either SEPA or a tenant wanting to locate a facility within the industrial park.

Garman said some of the possible tenants like the option of having SEPA take out the NDDOT rail loan and then have the loan payments billed back to them through the lease payment.

Ova said SEPA may also consider not charging a new tenant for use of a rail loop it had constructed in 2014 while the tenant is building a new facility. But SEPA should consider charging a fee for a road it had built last year for any damage done to the road during construction.

ADVERTISEMENT

Sandra Broekema, a SEPA Board member, said a road fee should be included in any lease agreement between SEPA and the tenant.

Garman said SEPA is "pushing as much as it can" to get more tenants in the industrial park.

What To Read Next
“We see that when things happen in the coastal areas, a few years later, they start trending toward the Midwest,” said Rep. Ben Krohmer, serving his first term in the House.
The Jamestown Public School District investigated the incident.
The investigation is ongoing.
Sunny the cat predicts six more weeks of winter following the weather lore of Groundhog Day