JFD dispatched to Edgewood Senior Living
The Jamestown Fire Department responded to a report of a fire in the salon of Edgewood Senior Living on Wednesday, April 8.
The department was dispatched at 12:56 p.m. to the facility at 1104 25th St. SW, said Jim Reuther, fire chief.
Reuther said an employee of Edgewood Vista had put out the fire with a fire extinguisher by the time the department arrived. The building had been evacuated, he said.
JFD extracted smoke from the salon and main entrance area, which is near the salon, he said.
The cause of the fire was electrical in a light fixture in a ceiling, he said.
The Edgewood employee who extinguished the fire was transported to Jamestown Regional Medical Center to be checked out for smoke inhalation, Reuther said.
He estimated the damage to be from $5,000 to $6,000, noting there was heavy smoke damage in the salon and a strong odor in the main entrance of the facility. The residents did return to the facility, he said.
The Fire Department cleared the scene at 1:26 p.m., he said.
Also responding to the call were Jamestown Ambulance due to the location of the call and the Jamestown Police Department, Reuther said.