ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Justice Dept. asks judge to hold Trump team in contempt in documents probe: report

One of the key areas of disagreement centers on the Trump legal team's repeated refusal to designate a custodian of records to sign a document attesting that all classified materials have been returned to the federal government, the Washington Post reported.

Former U.S. President Donald Trump announces he will run for president in 2024 at his Mar-a-Lago estate in Palm Beach
Former U.S. President Donald Trump announces that he will once again run for the presidency in 2024 during an event Tuesday, Nov. 15, 2022, at his Mar-a-Lago estate in Palm Beach, Florida.
Johnathan Ernst / Reuters
We are part of The Trust Project.

WASHINGTON — The Justice Department has asked a federal judge to hold Donald Trump's office in contempt of court for failing to fully comply with a subpoena to return all classified documents in the former president's possession, the Washington Post reported on Thursday, Dec. 8, citing people familiar with the matter.

U.S. District Court Judge Beryl Howell has not yet held a hearing or ruled on the request, the newspaper reported.

One of the key areas of disagreement centers on the Trump legal team's repeated refusal to designate a custodian of records to sign a document attesting that all classified materials have been returned to the federal government, the report added.

Trump's side has taken the position that such a request is unreasonable, according to the Post.

The filing for the request was sealed, the newspaper said.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Justice Department declined to comment on the Washington Post report. Attorneys and spokespersons for Trump could not immediately be reached for comment.

A Trump spokesman told the Washington Post that the former president's lawyers "continue to (be) cooperative and transparent." The spokesman described the probe as "a political witch hunt" by the newspaper.

Also on Wednesday, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit formally entered its judgment to end the use of a third-party special master to review records in the Trump documents investigation, a move that frees up the Justice Department's ability to access the roughly 13,000 records seized by the FBI at Trump's Florida estate for its ongoing criminal probe.

The Justice Department is investigating whether Trump broke the law by retaining U.S. government records, some marked as top secret, after leaving office in January 2021.

Trump, who last month announced a third run for the presidency in 2024, is facing multiple legal troubles .

The Department of Justice is also investigating his efforts to overturn the results of the 2020 presidential election. He faces a state probe over a push to reverse his election loss in Georgia. On Tuesday, his company was found guilty of tax fraud by a jury.

Related Topics: DONALD TRUMP
What To Read Next
Rescuers hunt for survivors trapped in rubble as death toll reaches around 1,500 in Turkey and more than 700 in Syria.
The party's vote on Saturday replaces the famed Iowa caucuses as the first in the nation with South Carolina.
President Biden said he had issued an order on Wednesday to take down the balloon, but the Pentagon had recommended waiting until it could be done over open water.
"I believe if we're able to get to an agreement, we could have a funding agreement for the next two years," McCarthy said.