ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Senate gun safety bill advances, passage likely this week

The bill would increase background checks for would-be gun buyers aged 18 to 21 by providing law enforcement more time to do the checks and incentivizing states to provide juvenile records to the analysis.

3431366+Gun.jpg
We are part of The Trust Project.

WASHINGTON — The Senate voted Tuesday evening to start debate on a bipartisan effort to combat gun violence, a sign of progress for what could be the most substantial gun policy to get through Congress in more than three decades.

The procedural vote was approved 64-34, with 14 Republicans joining all Democrats to advance the bill and two Republicans not voting.

By clearing the 60-vote threshold needed to overcome any filibuster, the measure seems assured final passage assuming there are no last-minute vote changes.

The bill would increase background checks for would-be gun buyers aged 18 to 21 by providing law enforcement more time to do the checks and incentivizing states to provide juvenile records to the analysis.

It would close the so-called “boyfriend” loophole by prohibiting anyone convicted of abuse against a spouse or domestic partner from buying a gun.

ADVERTISEMENT

The plan would crack down on gun trafficking and straw purchases as well as fund $750 million to incentivize states to create “red flag” laws that would allow weapons to be temporarily taken away from people who show a risk of violence against themselves or others.

There is also about $15 billion for mental health programs and school safety.

The bipartisan negotiators finalized the bill text just hours before the vote, following nearly a month of negotiation. Final talks centered around the closure of the “boyfriend” loophole and defining a romantic relationship. The final text says the relationship must be romantic or intimate in nature, not business or casual acquaintanceships.

Lawmakers are hoping to get through a series of votes on the bill by the end of the week and the start of a two-week recess.

The legislation is far from what President Joe Biden and many Democrats hoped to see in a gun bill, such as a ban on assault rifles.

But Sen. Chris Murphy, D-Conn., who led the negotiation for Democrats, praised it because it “will save countless lives and finally break a 30-year political logjam” on a contentious policy issue.

Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, who led the debate for Republicans, said they “have found some areas where there’s space for compromise.”

But in a sign of the political tension surrounding any Republican who supports a gun measure, Cornyn was loudly booed at his state’s GOP convention over the weekend due to his work on the bill.

ADVERTISEMENT

The National Rifle Association also came out against the legislation, saying it “does little to truly address violent crime while opening the door to unnecessary burdens on the exercise of Second Amendment freedom by law-abiding gun owners.”

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., pushed back on that idea, saying the legislation is a “a commonsense package of popular steps that will help make these horrifying incidents less likely while fully upholding the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens.”

Cornyn and Murphy worked primarily with Sens. Thom Tillis, R-N.C., and Kyrsten Sinema, D-Ariz., although their group expanded to 20 members: 10 Republicans and 10 Democrats.

The back-to-back mass shootings last month in Buffalo, New York, and Uvalde, Texas, generated a rare opening for the bipartisan negotiations.

Unlike in the wake of other mass shootings, when Democrats immediately called for ambitious gun policies that Republicans opposed, such as banning assault weapons, lawmakers agreed to open the door to smaller-scale reforms.

Republicans, jolted by the deaths of 19 fourth graders and two teachers in Texas and the racist motives behind the shooting in Buffalo, signaled they would come to the table.

©2022 Los Angeles Times. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

ADVERTISEMENT

______________________________________________________

This story was written by one of our partner news agencies. Forum Communications Company uses content from agencies such as Reuters, Kaiser Health News, Tribune News Service and others to provide a wider range of news to our readers. Learn more about the news services FCC uses here.

What to read next
Robert Crimo, the 21-year-old suspect facing seven counts of first-degree murder, appeared at the bond hearing via a video link from jail, two days after the attack in Highland Park, Illinois. Dressed in black and wearing shoulder length hair, Crimo was denied bail by Judge Theodore Potkonjak.
Authorities said the suspect fired more than 70 rounds from a rooftop at random onto people watching Monday's parade in Highland Park, Illinois, and then made his getaway dressed in women's clothing to blend in with the panic-stricken crowd, authorities said on Tuesday.
Miki Sudo reclaims women’s crown
Officials told a news conference that six people were killed and 24 taken to hospital, and that a rifle was recovered from the scene.