In South Dakota, COVID-19 cases near 7-month low, deaths top 2,870
South Dakota health officials said effective next week, they'll report COVID-19 data weekly on Wednesdays, starting March 23. Forum New Service will match that reporting pattern, posting the data mid-week.
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. — Active cases of COVID-19 in South Dakota neared a seven-month low, according to data released by the South Dakota Department of Health on Friday, March 18.
Active cases fell to 2,597, down 419 in the past seven days. The last time the active case count was that low in South Dakota was Aug. 23.
The number of South Dakotans who had died with COVID-19 rose to 2,875, rising 22 in the past seven days. Since the start of the year, 389 fatalities have been reported.
State health officials said effective next week, they'll report COVID-19 data weekly on Wednesdays, starting March 23. Forum New Service will match that reporting pattern, posting the data mid-week.
The following are the state Department of Health COVID-19 case rates, deaths, hospitalizations and vaccinations tracked by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention as of Friday, March 18. All data is the latest available but should be considered preliminary and could be updated at a later date by health officials.
- INITIAL DOSE ADMINISTERED (IF 2-DOSE VACCINE): 666,283 people, 75.3% of state's population*
- FULLY VACCINATED: 533,287 people, 60.3% of state's population
- BOOSTER DOSE RECEIVED: 215,611 people, 40.4% of state's vaccinated population
*Note: The percentage presented here via the CDC differs from the state Department of Health percentage posted on its online dashboard, because the department's data indicates percentage of state population age 5 and older, not the state's total population.
Statewide case count
- CURRENT ACTIVE CASES: 2,597 (-419 over past 7 days)
- TOTAL CASES: 236,845 (+243 over past 7 days)
- TOTAL RECOVERED: 231,373
- ACTIVE HOSPITALIZATIONS: 70
- TOTAL HOSPITALIZATIONS: 10,673 (+36 over past 7 days)
- TOTAL DEATHS AMONG CASES: 2,875 (+22 over past 7 days)