BISMARCK -- Cayla Bendel, the R3 coordinator for the North Dakota Game and Fish Department, shares her Pheasant Tortilla Soup recipe as she joins Mike Anderson in this week's episode.
"The recipe we are going to share today is pretty simple," Bendel says.
Once the meat is browned, the ingredients all go into a crock pot before some simple preparation gets everything ready for dinner.
Pheasant Tortilla Soup
- 3-4 pheasant breasts
- 1 ½ cup chicken broth
- ½ can black beans
- 1 ½ cup. corn (canned, frozen, or fresh)
- 1 can red enchilada sauce
- 1 cup diced tomatoes and peppers (or 1 can Rotel)
- 1 cup onion diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper diced (optional)
- 4 tbls. lime juice
- 4 tbls. cilantro
Shredded cheese and tortilla chips to top (optional)
- Lightly brown pheasant breasts on both sides.
- Mix all ingredients in crock pot EXCEPT lime juice and cilantro.
- Cook on low for 4 hours.
- Remove breasts and shred.
- Return shredded meat to the pot, add lime juice and cilantro and cook 30 more minutes on low.
- Crunch tortilla chips and cheese on top