Jimmies men's soccer battle to 1-1 tie vs. Dakota Wesleyan

Jimmies and Tigers have penalty shouts ignored in the tie.

We are part of The Trust Project.

Two disallowed overtime winners saw the University of Jamestown men’s soccer team and Dakota Wesleyan University tie 1-1. The tie sees the Jimmies go to 6-7-3 overall and 4-4-2 in the GPAC. The Tigers record moves 4-12-1 overall and 3-6-1 in conference play.

The Tigers won a free kick with 31:42 to go that was swung in and slotted home by Grant Pierce but the ref blew the whistle immediately for offsides. With 8:41 to go in the first half, Diego Valle rifled one goal-bound but it was pushed out of bounds by the Tigers goalie, Hunter Birozy. With five minutes to go in the first half, Max Gross sniped one from 20 yards out to give the Jimmies the 1-0 lead.

The Tigers got a corner with 24 minutes to go and despite screams for a handball, the ball went out of play for another corner after hitting off the post. The ensuing corner was played out of trouble by the Jimmies. Off another corner, the Tiger had more shouts for a handball ignored by the referee as the Jimmies sent it up the field. With 6:34 to go, the Tigers’ Benjamin Lazcano shot one from outside of the box that went past Jimmies goalie Alex Hamer and into the net to tie the game at one.

The Tigers won a free kick with 7:30 to go in the first overtime and won a corner after another penalty shout by the Tigers was ignored.

The Tigers bench exploded and sprinted onto the field as Rafael Calderon got in and dribbled past Hamer to win the game with 4:43 to go in the first overtime. However, the goal was erased after the refs came together and decided the Tigers player went before the refs had blown their whistle to restart play. The Jimmies bench erupted with 10.7 seconds to go in the first overtime as Eric Fairtlough headed the ball in. However, the Jimmies winner was called off for offsides.


With 9:20 to go in the second overtime, Hamer saved what would've been an easy winner for the Tigers at the top of the box. Both teams had chances in the second overtime but couldn’t find the elusive winner, resulting in the tie.

“It was a wild game and some things got called back but we can’t change it. We just have to be able to move forward and not put it in anybody’s hands but our own,” Jimmies head coach Connor Campbell said. “Whether it’s the other team or referees or weather like we’ve experienced earlier this year.”

The Jimmies are back in action at 3:30 p.m. on Oct. 30 when they host Briar Cliff University. The Tigers are back in action at 8 p.m. on Oct. 30 against Morningside University.

The Jimmies have the game against Briar Cliff and at least one game after that in the GPAC tournament, which means their concentration is on the next two games and not this game.

“We can’t change anything that’s happened in the past but it’s important for us to focus on Saturday to make sure we end on a high on senior night to make sure we are ready for the GPAC tournament,” Jimmies midfielder Aaron Pike said.

DWU 1, UJ 1

DWU: 0 1 0 0--1

UJ: 1 0 0 0--1



First half:

UJ: Max Gross, 40:05

Second half:

DWU: Benjamin Lazcano, 83:26


UJ: 19

DWU: Hunter Birozy, 6


UJ: Alex Hamer, 2

My name is Max O'Neill. I am a Sports Reporter at The Jamestown Sun. I am a native New Yorker, who graduated from Ithaca College in 2020 with a degree in Television-Radio.
What To Read Next
The Jimmies are set to graduate the last seven remaining players from the inaugural roster this year.
The win pushes the Jimmies into a tie for first place in the GPAC.
The Jimmies are now on a four-game winning streak.
The Jimmies' Crystal Wale has now scored two overtime winners in her career as a Jimmie.