Jimmies men's soccer falls in GPAC tourney 5-0 to Briar Cliff

The Jimmies end the season with a 6-9-3 overall record.

We are part of The Trust Project.

A dominant second half from Briar Cliff put an end to the University of Jamestown men’s soccer team’s season in a 5-0 loss at the hands of Briar Cliff University Wednesday, Nov. 3, during the GPAC quarterfinals at Briar Cliff’s Faber Field in Sioux City, Iowa.

The loss is the first time that the Jimmies were shut out since Oct. 9 in a 3-0 loss to Concordia.

"It was very frustrating as we as a team had our chances but they were well aware of the talent we have up top and throughout our entire team and executed their plan well," Diego Valle said.

With around 36 minutes to go, the Chargers’ Vinicius Gregorio got a bicycle kick that had to be pushed over the bar for a corner kick. The Jimmies got their best chance in the opening half with 16:10 to go with three chances on goal that were all blocked to keep the game scoreless.

The Chargers opened up the scoring with around 6 minutes to go in the first half when Michael Virgen caught a cross on the near post and put it past an outstretched Alex Hamer to give the Chargers the 1-0 lead. The late goal in the first half from the Chargers was more frustrating to the Jimmies after the fact than in the moment, according to Jimmies head coach Connor Campbell.


"It wasn't frustrating at the time because we were knocking on the door and knew we had another half to play," Campbell said. "It's more frustrating looking back because it forced us to chase the game a bit."

The Jimmies got in on goal minutes into the second half, but the referee told Valle that he was barely offsides, canceling out a chance to tie the game.

With 39:22 to go in the second half, a Charger was taken down in the penalty area by the Jimmies' Alex Castillo who pleaded his case to no avail. The ensuing penalty kick by the Chargers' Luis Paolo Sartor was put past Hamer who went the right way but was unable to save it, giving the Chargers a 2-0 lead.

The Jimmies won a corner after Frankie Parkinson’s shot from near his own bench was pushed over the bar by the Chargers goalie Leandro Faria. The corner was played out of danger by the Chargers.

The Chargers' Danny Baca found some space and sent a shot to the near post with 29:12 to go in the second half to make the game 3-0. With 17:11 to go the Chargers put the game away when Baca took a cross-box pass and put it into an empty net to make the game 4-0 in favor of the Chargers.

With 13 minutes left in the game, Hamer came out of his net to meet Baca at the top of the box but Castillo got back and blocked the shot out of play to keep the game right where it was.

The Chargers added another goal on a free kick that was played short and found the head of Rodrigo Olivera who sent it past Hamer to make the game 5-0.

The four second-half goals from the Chargers were frustrating for the players but the effort they continued to put in made Campbell proud.


"It's more I just feel bad for our seniors. They've given everything to this program and deserved to go out better than that," Campbell said. "But like I said, we chose to chase the game and go down swinging rather than just trying to minimize the damage and lose 0-2 or 0-3."

UJ 0, BCU 5

UJ: 0 0---0

BCU: 1 4---5


First half:

BCU: Michael Virgen, 39:15

Second half:


BCU: Luis Paolo Sartor (pen.), 50:38

BCU: Danny Baca, 56:52

BCU: Baca, 59:59

BCU: Rodrigo Olivera, 78:43

Shots on goal:

UJ: 3

BCU: 10


UJ: Alex Hamer, 3

BCU: Leandro Faria, 3

My name is Max O'Neill. I am a Sports Reporter at The Jamestown Sun. I am a native New Yorker, who graduated from Ithaca College in 2020 with a degree in Television-Radio.
What To Read Next
The Jimmies are set to graduate the last seven remaining players from the inaugural roster this year.
The win pushes the Jimmies into a tie for first place in the GPAC.
The Jimmies are now on a four-game winning streak.
The Jimmies' Crystal Wale has now scored two overtime winners in her career as a Jimmie.