Vikings depth chart: Mond, Mannion listed as co-backup quarterbacks
Generally, there are few surprises on the team’s first unofficial depth chart of training camp
The Minnesota Vikings released their first unofficial depth chart of the season on Tuesday, and there were no surprises among those listed as starters. But there remains some drama at backup quarterback.
Kellen Mond and Sean Mannion were listed as co-backups behind Kirk Cousins. The two have been splitting second-team reps during training camp, although Mond got the first opportunity with the second team in Monday’s night practice at TCO Stadium. The Vikings play their preseason opener on Sunday at Las Vegas.
Among starters, Jesse Davis was listed as the right guard, Camryn Bynum at safety and Cameron Dantzler at cornerback. But rookies Ed Ingram at guard, Lewis Cine at safety and Andrew Booth Jr. at cornerback still could pose challenges at those spots.
The Vikings list Austin Schlottman as the backup center behind Garrett Bradbury, and Chris Reed as the backup left guard behind Ezra Cleveland. Reed has been taking some second-team snaps and could push Bradbury at center.
The Vikings’ primary punt returner is listed as second-year wide receiver Ihmir Smith-Marsette, who has never returned a punt in an NFL regular-season game. Rookie wide receiver Jalen Nailor is listed as the backup.
Here is the full unofficial depth chart:
- Quarterback — Starter, Kirk Cousins. Backup, Kellen Mond OR Sean Mannion
- Running back — Starter, Dalvin Cook. Backups, Alexander Mattison, Kene Nwangwu, Ty Chandler, Bryant Koback.
- Fullback — Starter, C.J. Ham. Backup, Jake Bargas.
- Wide receiver — Starters, Adam Thielen and Justin Jefferson. Backups: K.J. Osborn and Ihmir Smith-Marsette; Bisi Johnson and Myron Mitchell; Trishton Jackson OR Jalen Nailor and Dan Chisena; Albert Wilson; Thomas Hennigan and Blake Proehl*.
- Tight end — Starter, Irv Smith, Jr. Backups: Johnny Mundt, Ben Ellefson, Zach Davidson, Nick Muse and Shaun Beyer.
- Tackle — Starters, Christian Darrisaw (left) and Brian O’Neill (right). Backups, Blake Brandel (left) and Olisaemeka Udoh (right); Vederian Lowe (left) and Timon Parris (right).
- Interior offensive line — Starters, Ezra Cleveland (LG), Garrett Bradbury (C) and Jesse Davis (RG). Backups, Chris Reed (LG), Austin Schlottmann (C) and Ed Ingram (RG); Kyle Hinton (LG), Josh Sokol (C) and Wyatt Davis (RG).
- Defensive end — Starters, Dalvin Tomlinson and Armon Watts. Backups, Jonathan Bullard and James Lynch; Jaylen Twyman and Esezi Otomewo; Jullian Taylor.
- Nose tackle — Starter, Harrison Phillips. Backups, T.J. Smith; T.Y. McGill, Jr.; Tyarise Stevenson.
- Outside linebacker — Starters, Danielle Hunter and Za’Darius Smith. Backups, Pat Jones II and D.J. Wonnum; Luiji Vilain and Janarius Robinson; Andre Mintze and Zach McCloud.
- Inside linebacker — Starters, Eric Kendricks (middle) and Jordan Hicks (weakside). Backups, Troy Dye (middle) and Brian Asamoah II (weakside); Chazz Surratt (middle) and Blake Lynch (weakside); Ryan Connelly* (middle) and William Kwenkeu (weakside).
- Cornerback — Starters, Patrick Peterson and Cameron Dantzler, Sr. Backups, Chandon Sullivan and Andrew Booth, Jr.; Kris Boyd and Akayleb Evans; Parry Nickerson and Harrison Hand; Nate Hairston and Tye Smith.
- Safety — Starters, Harrison Smith and Camryn Bynum. Backups, Lewis Cine and Josh Metellus; Myles Dorn and Mike Brown.
- Kicker — Greg Joseph
- Punters/holders — Starter, Jordan Berry; backup, Ryan Wright.
- Long snapper — Andrew DePaola
- Kickoff returner — Starter, Kene Nwangwu; Backups, K.J. Osborn and Ty Chandler.
- Punt returner — Starter, Ihmir Smith-Marsette; backup, Jalen Nailor.
This story was written by one of our partner news agencies. Forum Communications Company uses content from agencies such as Reuters, Kaiser Health News, Tribune News Service and others to provide a wider range of news to our readers. Learn more about the news services FCC uses here.