Mara H. Gottfried / St. Paul Pioneer Press
ST. PAUL—The family of University of Minnesota sophomore Dylan Fulton, who died in St. Paul last month, says they're hoping to save another family from going through their tragedy. "Our Dylan isn't coming home," Fulton's parents, Paul and Kayleen Fulton, said in a Friday statement. "Please talk to your kids and keep talking, because it can happen to ANYONE!!"
ST. PAUL—The death of a 20-year-old University of Minnesota student in St. Paul last month was alcohol-related, the Ramsey County medical examiner's office said Thursday, Oct. 11. Dylan Fulton had been drinking, vomited when he was passed out and choked to death, said Lori Hedican, chief investigator at the medical examiner's office. He died at his fraternity house on Sept. 12. Fulton grew up on his family farm south of St. Lawrence, S.D. He was pursuing a degree in animal science with a beef production emphasis.
MINNEAPOLIS—A former FBI agent who investigated 11-year-old Jacob Wetterling's disappearance said Tuesday that the Stearns County sheriff's recent analysis of the case was distorted and "a revisionist account of the investigation." Steve Gilkerson, who is retired from the FBI, said Don Gudmundson — who was not sheriff or working in Stearns County when Wetterling was kidnapped in 1989 — misled the public about what FBI agents "were doing and what they were able to do."
ST. PAUL—What happened to 20-year-old Dylan Fulton, who died at his fraternity house in St. Paul on Wednesday, could have happened to anyone, his family said Thursday. "It is with a very heavy heart that I share this but I want people to know the real Dylan and not let this horrific, unimaginable tragedy define the man Dylan truly was," Fulton's family said in a statement. "This could have been anyone's son/brother/grandson/nephew/cousin.....GOOD KID." Fulton, who was from a small town in central South Dakota, was valedictorian of the Miller High School class of 2017.
MINNEAPOLIS—Police officers' body-camera videos captured the last moments of Thurman Blevins' life: The 31-year-old is seen running from Minneapolis police with a gun, shouting at them "Please don't shoot," pointing a gun toward officers and then police shooting him. But footage of the foot chase and its aftermath doesn't settle the shooting for many people.
ST. PAUL—One by one, people gathered outside a St. Paul home on Thursday night and began singing Christmas carols — "We Wish You a Merry Christmas," "Silent Night" and more. Soon, they each carried a gift to the house. There were about 100 people outside the East Side residence and they were mostly strangers to the family who lives there, but they had a message: They couldn't believe that their healthy 16-year-old son and brother, Miguel Gonzalez, had fallen ill and died suddenly. And they wanted to bring them some joy.
ST. PAUL — A 16-year-old boy missing from St. Paul for more than 40 years has been identified as a victim of serial killer John Wayne Gacy, an official said Wednesday, July 19. James Byron Haakenson's mother reported him missing to St. Paul police on Sept. 2, 1976. Haakenson was listed as a runaway and his probable destination was reported as unknown, "maybe Chicago," according to reports from the time.
ST. PAUL — Twin Cities Pride organizers said Friday that an unmarked squad car will still lead the front of Sunday's Pride parade, but they invited members of the law enforcement community to march in the parade.
ST. PAUL — St. Paul and Minneapolis police officers typically have a big, visible presence at the start of the Twin Cities Pride parade, but organizers told them not this year after hearing concerns from community members. After a jury acquitted St. Anthony police officer Jeronimo Yanez on Friday, June 16, in the shooting death of Philando Castile last year, Twin Cities Pride wants to "respect the pain the community is feeling right now," organizers said in a Tuesday, June 20, statement on Facebook.
ST. PAUL—The chaos that some counter-protesters brought into the Minnesota Capitol in March during a rally in support of President Donald Trump included smoke bombs, Mace in people's faces and fireworks, prosecutors said Friday as they announced charges against eight people.